This car, chassis number B2RT, was the first R-Type chassis ever produced. It was sent to E.D. Abbott Ltd. of Farnham, Surrey in June of 1952. It was given a two-door coupe body that was penned by Abbott's chief stylist, Peter Woodgate. The body had originally been intended for an early Mk VI, but was a perfect fit for the new R-Type chassis. With a tall axle ratio, a powerful straight six engine, and relatively lightweight Abbot body, allowed the car to reach speeds in excess of 100 mph.
The Abbott-bodied coupe was displayed at the Earls Court Motor Show in October 1952. Although the next Abbott-bodied R-Type was not constructed for several years, a small run of approximately 15 or 16 cars were produced until the introduction of the S1 in the mid-1950s.
After the car's show debut, the right-hand drive Bentley was registered in France on January 30, 1953. It returned to Britain a year later where it received the registration number UPB 153. A new owner purchased the car in 1962, and would retain the car for the next 3 decades. It was offered for sale in 1992; a year later, the new owner treated the car to a sympathetic restoration that continued for nearly a decade. The body was re-painted in its current two-tone livery. The cylinder head was overhauled and the largely original interior was refurbished only as needed.
Read more about this car.