1924 Alfa Romeo P2

The first car designed by Vittorio Jano in 1924, the P2 is also the first Alfa Romeo with an 8-cylinder supercharged engine and 2 carburetors placed after the compressor. Prepared in secret in the Portello workshops, the P2 makes a surprise debut at the 200-mile race at the 2nd Circuit of Cremona in 1924, winning the race with an incredible average speed of over 158 Km/hr and completing the 10 km speed trial at an average of 195 Km/hr.

Its participation in the international Grand Prix of 1924 and 1925 leads to the first World Championship title, which led to the addition of the laurel wreath design to the logo. Considered one of the best Grand Prix cars of the twenties, the P2 helps to lay the foundations for the Alfa Romeo legend. Of the six models built (with cut off and long rears) only two remain, and can be found today in the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, while a version from 1930 is on display at the Automobile Museum in Turin.

Story by Alfa Romeo

In Detail

submitted by Richard Owen
engine Supercharged Inline-8
position Front Longitudinal
aspiration Supercharged
valvetrain DOHC 2 Valves / Cyl
displacement 1987 cc / 121.3 in³
bore 61 mm / 2.4 in
stroke 85 mm / 3.35 in
compression 5.0:1
power 114.8 kw / 153.9 bhp @ 5500 rpm
specific output 77.45 bhp per litre
bhp/weight 206.02 bhp per tonne
body / frame Pressed Steel
driven wheels Front Engine / RWD
front tires 29×4
rear tires 29×5
front brakes Drums
f brake size mm / in
rear brakes Drums
r brake size mm / in
f suspension Rigid Axle w/Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs, Friction Shocks
r suspension Live Axle w/Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs, Friction Shocks
curb weight 747 kg / 1647 lbs
wheelbase 2624 mm / 103.3 in
front track 1302 mm / 51.3 in
rear track 1302 mm / 51.3 in
transmission 4-Speed Manual
gear ratios 2.88:1, 1.91:1, 1.27:1, 1.00:1, :1
top speed ~223.7 kph / 139.0 mph