The Porsche 356 was a hybrid of new-and-old elements, incorporating an entirely new body design that was developed by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda. The first Porsche 356 was road-certified in Austria on June 8, 1948. The 49 original 356 roadsters (which commonly became known as at the “pre-A” roadsters) were easy to differentiate from later models because they featured a two-piece windscreen divided by a center bar. The aluminum-bodied cars from those first years of production are now commonly referred to as the 356 “prototypes.” (they are rare and expensive). From its introduction in 1948 until its final iteration in 1955, a total of just 7,627 Porsche 356 (pre-A) examples were produced.