424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Discussion in '1985 Peugeot 205 T16 Group B' started by RadoMan, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch1c4n3</i>
    <b>Homero, u dont know jack about the T16

300hp my ass, do u have any clue at all about cars??

groub B rally cars had 500-600hp in the mid 80s, i have a road test of a 205 T16 from an italian magazine in which it did 0-100kph(62mph) in 2.9sec....2.9 SECONDS!!!, u seriously think it could do that with a pitiful 300hp

aswell as that ive got a book in which Juha Kankkunen (u probably dont even know who that is) says he drove a T16 with 550hp and got wheelspin on all 4 wheels in 3rd gear....i think he should know how much power HIS car has got</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

moron. he was referring to the road version. of course, you probably got that by now.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

lol<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

i read somewhere that the audi quattro s2 was rumored to have power upwards of 1000 horses in Group B.

one question

what is group A, and what is F2. is F2 akin to f3000 or something?

4. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TownshipRebellion</i>
    <b>that's European Tech for ya. it's no wonder euro cars kill everything else.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

so true, good to see another canadian on this site.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Group A - Bit confusing this, IIRC the lesser category in the Group B days was called Group A. Then when Group B was cancelled, it was replaced with a new category called, Group A. I have no idea if the two classes were the same though, anyone else know? (Group A was later replaced with the WRC class).

F2 was a front wheel drive category that's now been replaced by Super 1600.

6. How could they do that???<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

that's European Tech for ya. it's no wonder euro cars kill everything else.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

rice burners rule

9. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Goku you are a moron.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

A peugeot is not really a r-i-c-e (the web page won't let me put the normal "ice" with an "r" before it in this paragraph)burner since it's French. Don't r-i-c-e burners have to be japanese? And they get that power from some neat gismo called a t-u-r-b-o. I've read an article by a journalist that drove one of these at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and he said the turbo lag was staggering. The thing just kinda sputtered (because he didn't ease the clutch out into first, he just dumped it too fast) until the revs got up to about 3000 or 4000 but then it shot off like a spider monkey on crack. This class of rally car was a truly amazing pedigree, but they were also known to be VERY dangerous. That's why Group B cars became known as "Killer Bs"; the Audi Quattro was one of the most notorious throttle-jockey slayers.

11. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

simple.. they had high pressure turbos!

12. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

You should check out an '80s turbo F1 engine, 1400bhp from 1500cc at 65psi boost.

13. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

there are lots of I4's that can make that kind of power and more. You can start with many of the LeMans, ALMS, Trans-Am....race cars with I4's. Then from there go look at turbo 4's that people mod to hell, there are talons running 8's that can still be driven on the street and plenty more that run in the 10-12 sec range that are daily drivers. It is not hard to believe that 4 cylinders can make huge power.

14. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

424bhp from 1.8L means alot of boost, probably a minimum of about 1.5 bar or 22psi. Not terribly much compared to some turbo street machines, but this car obviously has a revvy camshaft to match.
    As for the narrow power, turbo technology has come along way since the 80s obviously. Lots of modified cars with high tech aftermarket turbos can have such high boost and still have great response.

15. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Torres</i>
    <b>simple.. they had high pressure turbos!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->gona have lots of turbo lag<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

venomGTR, no not quite

the T16 produced 435hp on 3.5bar absolute (36psi) which is higher than any production car ever made, for short high speed events boost went to over 3.8bar absolute (41psi) where power would reach 530hp, which is certainly more boost than any modified street car

dont forget that these cars are *STREET LEGAL*

and they cant really be compared to mid-80s F1 cars because not only did they use even more boost (67psi was the highest ever recorded by BMW on the dyno) but they also ran on special qualifying fuel, a major constituent of which was hydrogen peroxide....rocket fuel

17. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Sorry, but the *STREET LEGAL* 205 T16 never produced 450 HP. Just only 200 and 300 in the kitted version.

If you want the complete sepcs (perfomance included) of the five 205 T16 versions, look at my "ENCYCLOPEDIA" thread...

18. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

What he means is that WRC rally cars have to be street legal to drive between tha stages. So tha few real WRC cars that still exist or existed had to have been street legal with 450 hp.

19. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Yeah, turbo...<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Power's great but what gave these cars the magnificent performance was the power to weight ratio.

Scruff.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Homero, u dont know jack about the T16

300hp my ass, do u have any clue at all about cars??

groub B rally cars had 500-600hp in the mid 80s, i have a road test of a 205 T16 from an italian magazine in which it did 0-100kph(62mph) in 2.9sec....2.9 SECONDS!!!, u seriously think it could do that with a pitiful 300hp

aswell as that ive got a book in which Juha Kankkunen (u probably dont even know who that is) says he drove a T16 with 550hp and got wheelspin on all 4 wheels in 3rd gear....i think he should know how much power HIS car has got

22. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

He's talking about the road going 205 not the rally car. Next time READ someones post before you flame, otherwise you end up looking like a jackass, jackass.

23. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GroupBRules</i>
    <b>He's talking about the road going 205 not the rally car. Next time READ someones post before you flame, otherwise you end up looking like a jackass, jackass.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Thank you for your atention...

24. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Thugz</i>
    <b>What he means is that WRC rally cars have to be street legal to drive between tha stages. So tha few real WRC cars that still exist or existed had to have been street legal with 450 hp.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Don't mix up WRC with Group B

WRC is the current class of World Championship Rally Car and has specific technical regulations and requires a certain number to be built to meet homologation requirements (50 cars).

Group B is a different class of World Championship Rally Car, as is the also now obselete Group A, F2, etc. Each of these types of car had different technical regulations and a different number of examples built to meet homologation requirements (200 in the case of Group B, 2500 in the case of group A).

It's not correct to refer to Group B cars as a type of WRC cars, the techical regulations are completely different.

But all rally cars which are used on multi-stage events must be 100% road legal and registered (and taxed/insured/MOT'd where required) in order to meet the laws of the country where they are competing, in order for them to be driven on the road stages between the special stages.<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: 424bhp in a 1775 cc engine?

Thanks for saying that about WRC vs. Group B, V8Vantage...people get confused, and then say things like "The Lancia Delta S4 did not go 0-60 in 2.4 seconds; the Evo VII WRC can't do that!" Poor saps.

On the topic of turbo lag, the way that the Lancia Delta S4 dealt with that is by supercharging the engine IN ADDITION to turbocharging it. This system, set up by Lancia and Arbath used the supercharger at low rpm and the turbo at higher rpm and combinations thereof inbetween. That way, there was little turbo lag and the power band was raised and flattened. Had Henri Toivonen not died in 1986, the S4 would have crushed the T16, but instead came in second.

I'm thrilled that SC.net has started putting some great rally cars on the site...keep up the good work!<!-- Signature -->