after reading some top speed thread...

Discussion in '1994 McLaren F1' started by KoenigseggCC, Dec 5, 2003.

1. I felt it was necessary for me to add this: Jonathan Palmer drove the "third" XP5 prototype at 231mph (average lap speed)at Nardo. Referring to this (while discussing how fast a F1 will go), Andrew Frankel writes "Given that, at such a velocity on a banked surface, much of your speed is lost in tyre scrub, it would certainly have gone considerably faster on the flat...especially since its early engine was, at the very least, 50bhp down on the production version."

FACT is XP5 ran 231mph. Does the above quote not state the XP5 had at least 50 less hp than the production F1? Are we going to say the XP5 goes faster than the production car which in fact ended up with more hp? I would think based on what I have just quoted, the F1 production version as well as the XP5 could have gone faster than 231mph... and just because maybe no one has seen it done doesn't mean it hasn't been done, and that also doesn't mean that it isn't possible. I admit without a problem some of my information COULD be wrong (as well as my source), as just about any information can be wrong to some degree... but it is worth considering. It seems valid to me.

2. Re: after reading some top speed thread...

yes it is probable but it doesnt seem right that a car with 580HP could take a track at an average speed of 231MPH, even if they were like 10 degree turns, i dont think that it could do this, but the 630HP one might be able to

3. Re: after reading some top speed thread...

Well,I have read that the average speed of severals highspeed runs was 240 mph!the car even went faster than 240 mph!But I could also be wrong!