GREAT DRIFT CAR

Discussion in '1989 Mazda RX-7 GTUs' started by bob777, Aug 10, 2002.

1. one of the best drift cars around(well the turbo version)...you can get the turbo xevens for a really cheap price...really good if you are on a budget and want all out power for a drift car<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Trans Am? yeah right I sugest you stop making up stories at night when you wet dream and go and try a RX7 turbo and then we can talk real performance cars.... not some old big lazy wavy Yank Tank gas gussling piece of shit. Yeah thats right A friend of mine's brother in law had one, and beleive it or not I killed it with a UNO turbo in straight line racing....

3. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Drifting is very common in Japan. Drifting = powersliding. Most people in Japan buy a cheap FR car to drift with, usually a Toyota AE86 ( Toyota Corolla Trueno), Mazda FC, and FD (RX-7), Nissan RPS13 (Nissan 180SX), Nissan Silvia S13, and Nissan Sileighty. Some people may drift with a 4WD car such as Lancer Evo and Nissan Skyline. But they are more expensive.

This is how the race goes, 2 cars (usually) line up side by side, and a persone wiill do the 3,2,1 count down. After he says go, both cars will take off and go down the hill (some people may race uphill). Most Drift races are done on a mountain. During a downhill race, HP isn't a big matter, becuz ur going downhill. The first one to be down or up the hill is the winner. And tehre are many turns or corners during teh race, and people drift through them.

There are many ways to drift. The basic way is to use the handbrake and lock the rear wheels up, so teh back slides. The otehr way is to turn to the opposite of the turn, then turn back teh right way, so the back of tehc ar slides ( so if ur turning left, u first turn to teh right, then turn to the left, then turn the steering wheel to the right to correct teh turing angle, very complex heh?) There are many otehr ways, but I have to go sleep.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Just exactly what in the hell is a "drift car?" I wasted one of these a few nights ago (this exact car, actually) in my Trans Am. Afterwards, he tried to pass me on the freeway on ramp as we were leaving, and I wasted him again, so what ever "drifting" is, you'd better find a better car than this.

5. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

What year is your trans am?<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

I already posted 3 long, essay like answers but my computer is super #$%#ing stupid, so ill make this message short.

No, your Trans-Am cannot beat an RX-7 in a drift race. Ever.

<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Drifting is sliding around corners, this way you can take the corners faster (I think you can drift in other situations but thats the most common). Unlike drag racing you want as little traction as possible because you want your tires to slide. From what I hear the 240sx is the best drift car.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

HOnda Rulez, looks like u been watching too much Initial D
    jk

i've seen clips of those mountain battles (real life) on the net, they look so cool. i wanna go to japan just to watch that.

and this is probably my dream for a first car. this is my goal. i will have it, and i will drift it, and become the drifting king of North America, then eventually the world. muahahahahaha

now if you'll excuse me, its past my bed time.

9. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

I dun't watch initial D a lot.

I've seen clips of those mountain battles too!! People race everywhere!

U can't do handbrake drift with the FC, becuz the handbrake of this car doesn't lock teh rear wheels completely.

10. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

ya, those are sooo cool.

too bad drifting isn't very developed over here. it takes a lot more skill than just drag racing.

11. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

it does man!

12. #12 KiyoKix, Oct 16, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

You can drift by using the E-brake in an FC I've done it multiple times, so I know it's possible. I have an '86 GXL 2+2 (well now just a 2-2 cause I got rid of the rear seats and all brackets because I don't need that extra weight), with full exhaust (only exception is that I haven't fully taken out the cat system yet and got a midpipe because I wanna use it for racing and street driving and it's illegal in the races that I want to compete in) and a hi-flow cat and presilencer system, cold/ram air intake system (I've designed 2 different ones, and working on another but it's a secret now), Jacobs wires 8.5mm, Bonez Street/Comp clutch, ported intake manifolds, modified throttle body, power steering+ac+6ports removed (left the pump in there until I pass inspection again, then out they go), a new suspension setup also, and a few other things done plus more weight taken off...I LOVE this car!

Goto http://www.rx7club.com to see even more cars (you should see some of the cars we've got)

13. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

WOW!! I luv ur car!! How much did u spend on it?

14. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Originally, drifting was just a big show of how guys can get their cars sideways. They intentionally lost traction in the rear tires and tried not to gain traction again until the run was over. Then a bunch of clever japanese guys began adopting it during their touge runs in the mountain passes, seeing as how the loss of traction in your rear tires would allow the rear drive to keep going while keeping a stable speed at the entrance and exit of each turn.

15. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Drift racing is mostly for show. It's still the slowest way around the corner on pavement, no matter what you unexperienced non-racers think.

As for the Trans Am being a drift car, Hollywood stunt drivers have been "drifiting" for decades in cars like that... As long as it's RWD with no traction in the rear, you can use it successfully for "drifting."

Fun to watch, but in no way "fast."

16. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Actually, It Is Faster Because When You Get Out Of The Curve And Your Car Is Straight, It Accelerates Faster Then If You Brake, Shift Down And Then Press The Gas When All You Do When You Drift Is Let Go Of Gaz, Downshift and then shift back up

17. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Nah, drifting is slow than normal racing. Drifting is only good for rallying. IF drifting is really faster, how come F-1 cars, Le Mans cars, NAscars, super touring cars don't drift?

18. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Because F-1 cars, Le Mans Cars, Nascars and Super Touring cars arent equiped with hand brakes and besides that, its easier to drift when your going downhill

19. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

WHy do u think they don't have handbrakes? It's becuz it's a waste of space, it adds weight, and it's not neceesary becuz drifting is just slower on tracks. And when u drift, the tires worn out pretty quickly, and u have to pit in very often which adds time!! So yea, drifting is pretty cool and fun, and great for rallying, but definitely not a great idea for real racing.

By the way, there are many ways to drift, not just handbrake drift. U can drift by turning right than left (if ur turning left), use the clutch to make the rear wheels lose grip, etc.....a very long list, so even a car that has no handbrake can still drift.

20. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Nice job with the capitalization of each word, but completely and totally WRONG.

Go ask ANY performance driving instructor, from Skip Barber to Bertil Roos. Go see why NO one in autocross, where the point is to get around a course as fast as possible, drifts. If you're trying to beat the next guy by a few hundredths of a second, don't you think that the top drivers would have started using drifting if it was faster?

C'mon. Stop watching cartoons and video games and join the real world. Ok?

I've been racing for a couple decades, and am an SCCA driving instructor, first for NW Region, and now for the Susquehanna region. If you don't want to believe me about the fast way around the track, that's up to you. When you grow out of Playstation, give us a ring.

21. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

actually, F1 cars back then drifted a bit when they had those big thick slicks in the back way back in the 70s and 80s.

22. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Yes one of the best!

23. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Initial D is the greatest show ever. I found out about it through a friend, and then off Kazaa downloaded both seasons and the movie. The next season is airing this summer in Japan, so it'll be a while before it makes it to Kazaa.

24. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Yea, true. But why did they change to "gripping" now? There got to be a reason, rite?

25. Re: GREAT DRIFT CAR

Yea, have u played the Initial D game from Sega Rosso? Although it's quite unrealistic, it's quite addictive somehow.