K, here's why they're naming it GT

Discussion in '2002 Ford GT40 Concept' started by DANVM, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Because the original car was actually named that. the 40 was added in as a nickname because that's how many inches tall it was. It was never actually named that. ANd they wouldv'e had to pay the guy who copyrighted the name $41 million!

2. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

It's called the GT40 for the same reason as the BMW Mini is called mini and the VW new beetle is so called, it's a rename retro thing, the GT40 is called the GT40 because it's a reworking of the classic car, but now stands 8 inches taller to allow people to actually get into it

3. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

It stands 4 inches taller at 44 inches.

4. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

I'm sorry, that's incorrect. I hate break it to you, but it's true. I read an interview Motor Trend had w/John Colleti and Carroll Shelby, that's where I learned it. I never knew that the originalGT40's real name was GT

5. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

At the unveiling at the Detroit Show, ford admitted to paying safir engineering in the UK , who had the rights to the name,not money but one of the only 2 concepts built at that time that were on display at the show.

6. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

That's an interesting bit of info

7. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

dan we've known that for like a month now

8. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

No actually Ford are calling it GT because they don't own the rights to the name GT40. Simple as that.

9. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

Yeah, i know, but see, I started this topic 2-3 months ago!

10. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

Like back in early November!

11. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

dan, you started this right after you got your january issue of motor trend.

12. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

it's really too bad because the name "GT40" sounds better then just GT.

13. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

it seems alot higher than that. i recently saw this and the original GT40, and GT looks alot higher.

14. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

yea, when i first heard it was GT i couldnt shake the image of all the other cars that get GT tacked on the end, but this is just the GT, kinda epic if you think about it.

15. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

Three reasons:

1. The original GT40's original name was "Ford GT"
    2. They cant call this a GT40 Because its like 44.3 inches tall, not 40
    3. Ford sold the rights to the name GT40.

I dont know WHY Ford would sell the rights to the name, but hearing that they gave one of the original concepts to the company they sold the rights to is quite interesting.

16. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

Well i mean for the first thing they couldn't get the 40 trademark from Shelby and the GT44 or any other number doesnt quite get the point across like the Ford GT.

17. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

plus, the original GT40s were originally named "Ford GT"s. Its actually more true to its heritage than if it was simply called the GT40.

18. Re: K, here's why they're naming it GT

Yea the Prototype was named the Ford GT Prototype.