Re: 2002 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 VS. 2002 FERRARI 360 MODENA!

Discussion in '2000 Ferrari 360 Modena' started by Christianmc, Aug 9, 2002.

1. #76 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from anony</i>
    <b>>Aren't lap times among similar street legal cars a kind of evidence as well?

Yes, but true race cars are greater machines.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Define "true." And "greater." Again, the intent is not to compare street cars with race cars. But street cars vs. street cars.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from anony</i>
    <b>A 911 is mid-engined if it happens to be the GT1.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    I was talking about current production 911's, where the engine is obviously aft of the rear wheel centerline. Sorry I did not make that clear.

<b>>Still, you haven't explained the ability of the Panoz cars to
    >hang right with the Audis at Le Mans.

Audi wins anyway.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    But at what cost? I believe the case is stronger that $$$ talks, not necessarily any inherent balance issues in differing layouts. Pump the same amount of money into Panoz, take away an equal amount from Audi...

<b>>And why no serious challenge has been mounted by a mid-engine car in any of the
    >lower classes.

The heavyweights are more revealing.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Yes, but you are not. Care to elaborate?

<b> Like most of the civilized world, I'd rather have a Ferrari.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    LOL, most of the civilized world. You've taken a poll? Would you also rather pay for that Ferrari? Even after reading this?:

From www.nsxfiles.net:
    Everyone wants to know, "What's it like to maintain and service an F355? The car comes with a two year warranty. In the first seven months of ownership, here’s what has maintenance has been on my car:
    1. My driver side window wasn’t going up sometimes. I would have to bang the door panel with my fist, and then it would work, or else I would have to completely shut the car off, and turn it back on, and then sometimes it would work. This went on for two weeks, and then mysteriously it now works all the time. Jeff says it is because of the aftermarket stereo system that was put in. Wayne was cracking up when this happened after two weeks of ownership.
    2. That black stripe down the side of the car looks cool and give it a good "line". Unfortunately, that black stripe is not painted on. Instead, it is plastic tape. Yes, kinda like electrical tape. And it is peeling off on my car. You pay this much for a car and they put electrical tape along the entire side of the car? This had to be replaced on the driver’s side.
    3. I add a quart of oil every 700 miles or so. Ferrari of North America says that this is "normal". I never had to put oil in the NSX the first 127,000 miles that I owned it. It holds 10 quarts of oil, which you can only buy from the Ferrari dealer. It is some "special" Shell blend that goes for $12 a quart. Oil changes cost $250.
    4. I dropped two quarts of gear oil in front of my wife’s work when I went to pick her up. Oil got on the exhaust/header, and caused tiny flames to dance on it after I stopped and opened the engine compartment. I proceed to try to blow the flames out, which is a bad move, as I am just giving more oxygen to the fire. Wayne was really cracking up about this one when he heard it. He then proceeded to buy both of us a little 2.5 lb halon fire extinguisher to keep in the trunk.
    5. My car started stumbling badly, like it was missing. Turns out the #5 cylinder had a shorted out injector wire. Injector wire shorting out?? The car is only 7 months old.
    6. Car battery idiot light comes on intermittently when driving, as if there is a loose wire or something.
    7. Rear tires wore out at about 4600 miles. $400 bucks a tire. My car has the Goodyear Fiorano F1 tires on it, and it took about 3 months to get a set of rear tires for the car. I put Pirelli tires on the rear for a couple months until the Goodyear tires were back in stock. Car handles horrible with Goodyears on the front, Pirelli’s on the back. I guess because of the different tire treads.

Maintenance on Wayne’s car:
    1. Wayne turned on his hazard lights. But could not turn them off. He called me at home, and I grabbed the manual and we figured out which fuse to pull for the hazard lights. Apparently his switch got stuck. I don’t think Italians can make reliable switches.
    2. Wayne’s car had a "Slow Down" button light up on the dash. It had something to do with the catalytic converter/ODBII sensors. So to check it, he had to send it to Ferrari of Beverly Hills. He didn’t want to drive it, so we had a transporter pick his car up. We told them to send down a two-car transporter, and I would get an early oil change and checkup on my car, as well as look at the peeling tape.
    3. Wayne’s rear tires had to be replaced at 6600 miles. Ferrari of Beverly Hills also suggested that a less aggressive wheel alignment on his car, at a cost of $250.
    4. For a 5000 mile service(which is what Wayne had done at 6600 miles), cost was $1000 for checkup + fluids
    5. Suddenly, one day, Wayne’s car went quiet. When he stepped on the gas, nothing happened. Apparently some bypass valve in the header/muffler that opens up at higher RPMS got stuck. Back to the dealer.
    6. Air bladder in Wayne’s driver seat when flat. Entire new air bladder had to be stitched back in.

In the meantime, over the past week, Wayne has come down with an incurable disease, and it looks terminal for him. The disease is called Italica Fervora, which is gibberish for Ferrari Fever. He was looking at some F355's that are for sale, and checking out prices, what it would cost to lease, etc. He figures he can get a good F355 on a lease for maybe $1100 a month, and then he would just drive it one day a week like I do, to keep the miles and repairs down, and drive the NSX the rest of the time. I tell him he is losing it. But it is no use....the Go-Fast Crack Pipe is out, and he has that glazed look in his eyes. There's no stopping him. Dagmar tells him that Wayne driving a Ferrari one day a week is like giving 12 vials of crack to a crackhead, and telling him, "Now if you only use one vial a month, you have enough to last you the whole year......

Thursday, January 23rd, 2002
    Ferrari Fever is getting worse. The temperature just went up two more degrees to the intensive care stage. Wayne is now bidding on a 360 Modena with 14,000 miles on it, located in back east. He saw it on Ebay. The reserve was set at $145,000, but the highest bid so far is $135,100. Wayne talks to the guy, gets a history about the car, calls Algar Ferrari, one of the authorized dealers back east, gets more info on the car. He also does a CarFax, talks to some other people back east that know about the car, etc. The guy tells Wayne that he must sell the car by tomorrow, as he needs the cash so he can buy his Lamborghini Murcielago that is coming in. Wayne can have the car for $135,200. One year left on the warranty. Red/Tan, perfect condition, Scuderia shields on the side, power seats, and the owner just had the pricy 15,000 mile service performed on the car. Wayne says that he could take out a margin loan, fly out there, check it out, rent a U-Haul truck and trailer, and bring it back home. I tell him that is a bad idea, as the weather is bad, it is winter, and he doesn't want to take a chance at crashing a trailer with a 360 Modena in it. I would love to put that picture on the front page of the next story. If he buys it, I figure he has to use a professional transporter to ship the car back here. He can't drive it back, as the depreciation on a Ferrari 360 is probably $3 a mile. So if he drives it 3000 miles back home, he's out $9000 on the resale value. Plus it would probably break down twice on the way home. I calculate that his monthly car payments are the equivalent of about $2400 a month. He's a madman!

Tuesday, January 29th
    I pick up the F355 from the alignment shop. Battery is dead. Totally dead, despite the fact that I drove it about 70 miles the other day. I decide to just get a new ffing battery, since it has been three years. And the fact that you have to jack the car up, take off the front tire, take off the wheel well plastic, as the battery is buried in front of the passenger side front tire. It's a pain in the ass, and if I try to charge the dead battery and it dies again, I have to go through this procedure again.
    I drive the F355 home for the first time in six weeks. Still some minor glitches on it, but it is close to 100%. Then another LED light goes out on the dashboard, indicating what gear the car is in. Unbelievable....so that is two LEDs that have failed. Timex makes LED watches that last 10 years, and Ferrari LEDs die in 3 years.

Wednesday, afternoon, January 30th, 2002
    It's a done deal. Wayne gets the red 360 Modena. He's a hero to us all, someone who basically says, "I just don't give a shit. I am going to buy me the car of my dreams. So what if I will be broke for the next year and will have an empty house, and can't make my mortgage payments. At least I will be pimping around Southern California in a Ferrari 360! I could die a happy man if I got hit by lightning today!".

From ex-Ferrari owners (who now own BMW Z8's):

Q: Since you have responded, are the rumors true regarding the frequent breaking of the modern Ferarri's?

A: They are true! For example with the 355...the electrics kept failing. I took to carrying a spare battery and jump leads so I could restart the car in moments. Imagine that, tuxedo and car battery together. The alarm was a nightmare and had to be replaced by an off the shelf alternative. Rust developed where the roof met the back wing structure and this was repaired under warranty. At the same time, rust appeared at the windshield surround but they would not repair this under warranty "because I might have had someone else replace a broken windshield and perhaps the work wasn't up to standard". The clutch failed in a bizarre fashion. It looked like it had be misaligned when fitted. The outer portion shredded.It was replaced under warranty after I was rescued from a totally isolated area where it failed. This was after I'd told the dealer there was a problem and I was assured it was okay to drive. Half the engine shut down once...and I could go on and on. Haven't got to the 550 yet so here goes. The interior stitching on the leather fell apart, the chrome on the gear shift disintegrated. They said this was because I must have been wearing heavy rings that were damaging the chrome finish. I never wear rings. The doors would shift and needed to be rehung. They blamed this on "the wind catching it and slamming the door open". That never happened. Warning lights would come on regularly. Cables came undone at the rear underneath of the car "must have snagged something". The quality finish just wasn't there. On cars this price it ought to be.
    Another one springs to mind. The car went in for a service. I got a call to ask whether I'd been driving it in the wet! Why? you'd ask. Well you are not apparently supposed to drive a ferrari in the wet in Scotland because it can't take the weather conditions. They showed me what was under the panels that cover the underneath of the car. Rust, rust and more rust. Might as well have been sh (let me put the OOps in here). Rust stops you releasing the parking brake as well.
    Given the choice between these and the Z8 I have no hesitation in advising anyone to avoid the ferrari. The build quality is superior. The feeling that the Z8 has been designed for the enthusiast is tangible. The attention to detail is exquisite. You know which one is going to survive regular use already, don't you. This car has been turned out with a host of innovations that work. I go along with previous comments about the unsubtlety of the ferrari, beautiful though it might be. I prefer something that'll get me there.

A2: I agree 100%. As a brief owner of a Ferrari F355, I experienced a host of major mechanicals and door failures etc. I had to sue to have the car returned under the texas lemon law. The ferrari is totally unreliable based upon my experience with the 355.
    I personally will never go near another one. Nothing ever seemed to be covered when it broke...which was every other week. For a car that was driven only on the weekends..it was a total ripoff and the courts agreed. I felt like I had been taken which is why I sued. IMHO...the 355 that I owned was a pile of Junk."

R&T on McLaren F1
    "One last observation concerns construction and detailing. All three cars' chassis are basically composed of molded carbon fiber, but I've snooped around in their nooks and crannies and noted occasional lapses from perfection in the Ferrari and Bugatti's lay-up work. I don't mean blatant sloppiness, just evidence, here and there, that human beings had built the Italian cars. By contrast, the McLaren appears constructed on another planet; everything, and I mean everything, is utterly perfect. I defy you to find a blemish with a magnifying glass. Amazing."

<b>>>The laws of physics by themselves are not restricted by any legal limitations, and science tells us that any object which has a low moment of inertia will require less force to change directions, a permanent fact.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    ...and is (on the flip side) less stable. Legal limitations? Who's talking about legal limitations?

<b>>I simply can not imagine GP racecars being faster, ceteris paribus, with a front or rear engine. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    It appears you can not imagine a lot of things. Back in the day, it used to be unthinkable that the earth revolved around the sun. Back in the day, if you said a Ford-powered car would win at Le Mans, you'd be heckled into obscurity.

<b>The Z06 could have been better-performing for various reasons, and is not true evidence for this issue.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Reasons such as? On a go-kart type track, the Porsche should have easily romped on any Vette.

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from marcusmv3</i>
    <b>Wanna know the real performance specs?

Here they are DIRECTLY from Motor Trend, who BTW tested both cars, their numbers are much more accurate than SC.net since they actually drove the cars where as SC.net relies on a 3rd party.

360 Modena:
    0-60: 3.92s
    1/4: 12.2s/113.5MPH

Z06 (2002):
    0-60: 4.07s
    1/4: 12.5s/114.9MPH</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Z06 takes a slalom at over 70mph with over 1g of lateral acceleration. the 360 takes a slalom at 69 mph, and I'm sure its lateral Gs almost match the Z06's.

They're pretty even cars, and 3.9 0-60's can probably be reached through the Z06 with clutchless upshifts. <!-- Signature -->

3. >Define "true." And "greater." Again, the intent is not to compare street
    >cars with race cars. But street cars vs. street cars.

If the question is about factors of speed, then only physics need to be involved, not the political laws of men.

>I was talking about current production 911's, where the engine is obviously aft
    >of the rear wheel centerline. Sorry I did not make that clear.

And the Porsche GT1 defeats the production 911s.

>But at what cost? I believe the case is stronger that $$$ talks,

Who ever said anything about $$$? It remains that Panoz didn't win.

>>>And why no serious challenge has been mounted by a mid-engine car in any of the
    >>>lower classes.
    >>
    >>The heavyweights are more revealing.
    >
    >Yes, but you are not. Care to elaborate?

What is there to elaborate -- currently mid-engine machines are the fastest.

>LOL, most of the civilized world. You've taken a poll? Would you also rather pay >for that Ferrari? Even after reading this?

Your argument is nothing more than an argument on cost. Do Ferrari owners care? Not really. Why are Ferraris so "exotic"? The very name is a symbol of class and power, unlike any Honda. With other brands, you are buying a car; with Ferrari, you buy an experience. What I implied was that if cost was not an issue, most of the public would like a Ferrari.

BTW I have never thought of the Modena as the "fastest" car. I just think it's really, really cool.

>>The laws of physics by themselves are not restricted by any legal limitations,
    >>and science tells us that any object which has a low moment of inertia will
    >>require less force to change directions, a permanent fact.
    >
    >...and is (on the flip side) less stable. Legal limitations?
    >Who's talking about legal limitations?

Less stable but faster. In the hands of professional drivers this should be beneficial as far as racing goes. You are talking about legal limitations once you bring up the issue of street cars.

>It appears you can not imagine a lot of things. Back in the day, it used to be
    >unthinkable that the earth revolved around the sun. Back in the day, if you said
    >a Ford-powered car would win at Le Mans, you'd be heckled into obscurity.

Anyone can imagine, but there's just no scientific reason for F1 engineers to abandon the centralized-mass philosophy and switch to a front-engine design. The Ford GT40 had a mid-engine too, anyway.

>>The Z06 could have been better-performing for various reasons,
    >>and is not true evidence for this issue.
    >
    >Reasons such as?

Like the driver, always important, or things like suspension. The Z06 is not very heavy either. It could simply be the better car, or had a better team.

No single factor is responsible for all winnings. In any case, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, McLaren, Bugatti, Lotus, Lamborghini, Honda, Saleen, even Cadillac (Cien)... can the engineers and designers behind all the manufacturers be foolish in going along with physics and choosing the mid-engine for their top cars? Not to mention F1 and CART. I think I take the designers more seriously. It should be clear that mid-engine is one of the physical factors that race cars adopt because it makes the car faster around corners. Whenever I see a Formula One race car, it will still be way faster than anything on the street, and it will still have a engine right in the middle. If you want to call all the engineers dumb, or claim that designs are mere politics, it's up to you. Enough said.

4. the 360'z lines are just soo amazing and the sound of that car is just amazing..i would take it over a z06 or transam..i'm pretty sure this car does 60 in 3.92 from my motortrend issues...but it fast enuff for me even if it doesn 60 in 4.2...peace

5. And the Porsche GT1 defeats the production 911s.
    And the racing 911's, with considerably less factory development time and money than the GT1, defeat the production 911's. What's your point?

Who ever said anything about $$$? It remains that Panoz didn't win.
    It remains that Panoz didn't have $150M.
    Let me know if you want to build and campaign a race car with your own money. Let me know how the results go.

Do Ferrari owners care? Not really. Why are Ferraris so "exotic"? The very name is a symbol of class and power, unlike any Honda.
    Do you personally know all Ferrari owners? Done a poll? Put one up at a Ferrari owners' message board. Say something like "Do you guys care about money? At all?" Shoot me the link when you've set it up.
    I think an S2000 or NSX is more of a symbol of class and power than a 308.

What I implied was that if cost was not an issue, most of the public would like a Ferrari.
    If cost was not an issue. LOL. Now, I'm understanding what your "reality" is all about.
    Most of the public seems to prefer Britney Spears and 'N Sync. Surely, that is not the pinnacle of musical performance, is it? "Well, if the public thinks so..."
    Hint: Most of the public don't have any clue of what a McLaren F1 or TVR are either.

Less stable but faster. In the hands of professional drivers this should be beneficial as far as racing goes. You are talking about legal limitations once you bring up the issue of street cars.
    No, I'm not. I'm saying: compare apples to apples. Not race cars to street cars.

The Ford GT40 had a mid-engine too, anyway.
    I wasn't referring to the GT40. I was talking about the car that drove Ferrari out of GT racing.

Whenever I see a Formula One race car, it will still be way faster than anything on the street.
    Well, duh. So far, I think you're the only one trying to compare Formula One race cars with street cars. Enough said.

6. "And the Porsche GT1 defeats the production 911s."
    And the racing 911's, with considerably less factory development time and money than the GT1, defeat the production 911's. What's your point?

"Who ever said anything about $$$? It remains that Panoz didn't win."
    It remains that Panoz didn't have $150M.
    Let me know if you want to build and campaign a race car with your own money. Let me know how the results go.

"Do Ferrari owners care? Not really. Why are Ferraris so 'exotic'? The very name is a symbol of class and power, unlike any Honda."
    Do you personally know all Ferrari owners? Done a poll? Put one up at a Ferrari owners' message board. Say something like "Do you guys care about money? At all?" Shoot me the link when you've set it up.
    I think an S2000 or NSX is more of a symbol of class and power than a 308.

"What I implied was that if cost was not an issue, most of the public would like a Ferrari."
    If cost was not an issue. LOL. Now, I'm understanding what your "reality" is all about.
    Most of the public seems to prefer Britney Spears and 'N Sync. Surely, that is not the pinnacle of musical performance, is it? "Well, if the public thinks so..."
    Hint: Most of the public don't have any clue of what a McLaren F1 or TVR are.

"Less stable but faster. In the hands of professional drivers this should be beneficial as far as racing goes. You are talking about legal limitations once you bring up the issue of street cars."
    No, I'm not. I'm saying: compare apples to apples. Not race cars to street cars.

"The Ford GT40 had a mid-engine too, anyway"
    I wasn't referring to the GT40. I was talking about the car that drove Ferrari out of GT racing.

"Whenever I see a Formula One race car, it will still be way faster than anything on the street."
    Well, duh. So far, I think you're the only one trying to compare Formula One race cars with street cars. Enough said.

7. The fact is, is that an American company has managed to produce a sports car that will run up to or better than an exotic, thats way the europeans are so pissed off. They spent 150 000grand and the corvette owner spent way less. Thats whats really amazing. Who cares about prestige or history. If thats why you buy a Ferrari, to look good than go ahead. I would rather have two corvettes than one Ferrari thats slower and cant be driven anywhere.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoMasta</i>
    <b>This car has superior torque to a Z06 or a firehawk. 107Nm/litre as opposed to less than 90/L means better engine response and acceleration, and 85% of that torque is available across 75% of engine speed, thats a better spread than any lump of american iron can achieve hah!
    A LS1 needs an extra 1.6 litres of capacity to keep up with this engine, then has a narrow power band. how pathetic is that.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Superior torque? Since when has 274 been superior to 400? And cars having approx the same weight and power, what does FerrariŽs MPG (10/16) compared to Z06Žs (19/28) tell about FerrariŽs efficiency? That itŽs POS. However, the most pathetic thing in this is your own comment.

Regs the MR vs FR debate, itŽs true that in theory itŽs best to keep the center of gravity as close the center of the object when turning. However, equations on paper donŽt take into account real life factors, like variable friction and control systemŽs (driverŽs) delay. Sometimes things that look negative on paper, give positive results in real life - i.e. mild oversteer usually makes a car much easier to drive on the limit and actually enables faster lap times. I wouldnŽt sign that mid-engine is always best by default.

And things that are applied in F1 are not always "the best for ultimate speed". Best example is the most obvious: high profile open wheels. One who thinks his/her car would get faster/better with these air brake donuts from the 19th century, might have some trouble proving his/her point.

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoMasta</i>
    <b>This car has superior torque to a Z06 or a firehawk. 107Nm/litre as opposed to less than 90/L means better engine response and acceleration, and 85% of that torque is available across 75% of engine speed, thats a better spread than any lump of american iron can achieve hah!
    A LS1 needs an extra 1.6 litres of capacity to keep up with this engine, then has a narrow power band. how pathetic is that.

Superior torque? Since when has 274 been superior to 400? And cars having approx the same weight and power, what does FerrariŽs MPG (10/16) compared to Z06Žs (19/28) tell about FerrariŽs efficiency? That itŽs POS. However, the most pathetic thing in this is your own comment.

10. Regs the MR vs FR debate, itŽs true that in theory itŽs best to keep the center of gravity as close the center of the object when turning. However, equations on paper donŽt take into account real life factors, like variable friction and control systemŽs (driverŽs) delay. Sometimes things that look negative on paper, give positive results in real life - i.e. mild oversteer usually makes a car much easier to drive on the limit and actually enables faster lap times. I wouldnŽt sign that mid-engine is always best by default.

And things that are applied in F1 are not always "the best for ultimate speed". Best example is the most obvious: high profile open wheels. One who thinks his/her car would get faster/better with these air brake donuts from the 19th century, might have some trouble proving his/her point.

11. I think the corvette, it is more reasonable, for most people can not afford a ferrari so for the value I'd take a corvette. Now for straight performance in all categories I'd take the ferrari. Since I'll never own a ferrari a corvette is as close as you can get to all the supercar numbers.Personally I think chevy did a pretty good job,considering all of the high-performance manufactures have a rich racing heritage. For the corvette to be within striking distance is very impressive

12. this is for the guys arguing that the chevys are faster for less money. but lets look at the facts that matter to everyday driving. U cant drive a 1/4 at every stoplight.

corvette:
    women that u can take home: good looking girl(after having a few) at a bar

ferrari:
    even fat ugly guys could take home a supermodel caliber woman

i like drivin fast but I'd take the ferrari anyday

13. have you people forgot that were comparing one of the most luxo sports cars in the world with a $56,000 chevy, yeah performance is pretty even but the sound of a ferrari, the looks of a ferrari, the leather interior and the beauty. i mean italian luxo supercar and an american sports car.<!-- Signature -->

14. you gotta remember that ferrari's are hand crafted, not robot assembled like a chevy. thats why they are so damn expensive. ferreris aren't very reliable either and practically require tuneups every thousand miles. The only reason to have one is to be seen with one. The Firehawk is made for cheap thrills. Yet it performs well as a street dragster. next time compare cars based on the class of people who are gonna buy them. muscle cars shouldn't be classed with exotic babe magnets like a ferrari.

15. youre comparing a hooker to a supermodel here. the transam has more bang for the buck but the ferrari is sheer beauty that screams in bed. on a track like leguna seca i'd bet it all on the ferrari. even on a long oval the ferrari adds 30mph tops.

16. So, the 360 Modena does 204 mph?

17. Corvette is american shit...the modena is not

18. Face it! American guys (especially, Z06 fans) will never understand what makes a Modena (or any European car) special.

All you guys care about is speed.....0-60 times, 1/4 mile runs.
    Thats how most of you grew up....appreciating cars for speed, power and acceleration. In other words: MUSCLE CARS.

How many times have we seen a guy post that a certain car beats another car in ALL categories when his categories consist of:

0-60
    1/4 mile

You guys will never get the point. And no matter how many times we try and tell you it isn't always about power, HP, skidpad figures....etc, you still won't get it.
    You're all too narrow-minded to get it. I'll get ALOT of hits for my statements, but who gives two cows? Your scope of appreciation is only about 3 feet wide....enough to fit a Stang, Vette or Viper in it.

Try doing it our way. Liking a car for what it represents deep inside. Thats why we always argue marque status, prestige, exclusivity, passion....etc when a Euro cars versus American car forum comes up, because American cars have very, very little of those.

And those categories mean much more to us than power, like power means much more to you than anything else.

I guess it goes hand-in-hand.
    <!-- Signature -->

19. So let them look at the 0-60 and top speeds. This car still beats the Z06.
    even for American.<!-- Signature -->

20. Guys I like the Modena as well and think it's a great car. Spec wise, the Modena does edge out the Corvette. Look at the price though people. The Corvette is more than four times as cheap as the Modena.

Price for price, the Modena can't compete. Put in some extra cash into the Corvette, and you'll have it smoking the Modena, even at that stage, for half the price of it.

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 944turb0</i>
    <b>Corvette is american shit...the modena is not</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->true, why they use shit to compare with GOLD?

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SNAKECHARMER</i>
    <b>The fact is, is that an American company has managed to produce a sports car that will run up to or better than an exotic, thats way the europeans are so pissed off. They spent 150 000grand and the corvette owner spent way less. Thats whats really amazing. Who cares about prestige or history. If thats why you buy a Ferrari, to look good than go ahead. I would rather have two corvettes than one Ferrari thats slower and cant be driven anywhere. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Haha, you think Europeans who buy Ferraris care about how much Corvettes cost? "Who cares about prestige or history"? Many people, if not you. Despite your dismissal, Ferrari is still respected more by people around the wrold (if not US rednecks). And what is "can't be driven anywhere"? If you mean it attracts too much unwanted attention, then again what does that say about their popularity, hmm?

23. >And the racing 911's, with considerably less factory development
    >time and money than the GT1, defeat the production 911's.
    >What's your point?

The point is that GT1 uses the mid-engine, so why do you think Porsche did that, for fun?

>It remains that Panoz didn't have $150M.

You can also say "if I had a billion dollars I could mod a Corvette to go faster than F1 cars", it's irrelevant. Do you like Panoz because they are American? Haha...

>I think an S2000 or NSX is more of a symbol of class and power
    >than a 308.

LOL, wow gee I see you need to compare 20-year-old Ferraris with present Hondas. Put a NSX or S2000 next to a Maranello or Modena and observe the real meaning of class and power. The truth is people are universally fascinated by exotic marques like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche, but not as much by generic brands like Chevys or Hondas. There is a huge difference between the general desirability of any Corvete and that of a Ferrari 360. Feel free to disagree, it isn't going to change the reaction of people when they see a shiny new Italian exotic (try to follow one around and you'll see the truth from the public).

>Most of the public seems to prefer Britney Spears and 'N Sync.

Invalid argument: Britney Spears is inevitably forgotten, but Ferrari is not going away. Mozart, not 'N Sync. Having been the oldest and winningest team in F1 means the name Ferrari will continue to be associated with prestige for years to come. They will remain vastly more well-known than the likes of TVR or McLaren.

>I'm saying: compare apples to apples. Not race cars to street cars.

Street cars, anything goes, too many factors, but there's a reason certain designs are well-followed in racing.

>I wasn't referring to the GT40.

Inform me a faster Ford racecar then.

>I think you're the only one trying to compare Formula One race cars
    >with street cars. Enough said.

And your view is unsupported if you claim that F1 may not be optimized with the centralized mass design. F1 engineers and enthusiasts will laugh if you tell them, for instance, they should use a front-engine instead. The low-inertia philosophy simply works for all-out track racing.

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from steedastang</i>
    <b>this is for the guys arguing that the chevys are faster for less money. but lets look at the facts that matter to everyday driving. U cant drive a 1/4 at every stoplight.

corvette:
    women that u can take home: good looking girl(after having a few) at a bar

ferrari:
    even fat ugly guys could take home a supermodel caliber woman

i like drivin fast but I'd take the ferrari anyday

That was rather shallow, but it's the truth. If you can't get some with a Modena then you are a hideous retarded freak.

25. Also, regarding:
    >Put one up at a Ferrari owners' message board. Say something
    >like "Do you guys care about money? At all?" Shoot me
    >the link when you've set it up.

Hah, that's not even relevant, the correct question would be "do you think, for all the hassles that came with it, your purchase of a Ferrari was worth the cost." You seem to be trying to make Ferraris seem like a waste of money, but you'll fail because the average buyer of this category lives in a very different world financially compared to the rest of the car-buying public who needs to take value into consideration.