Re: Corvette VS NSX

Discussion in '2003 Chevrolet Corvette 50th Anniversary' started by Gamer55, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bowtie Thunder</i>
    <b>The Vette will beat your NSX anyday, and not only is it faster it's also HALF THE PRICE!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I rest my case!!!!

See reason number 2 that I listed in the previous post.<!-- Signature -->

2. BMW M, how can you say most American car fans are like you described? Your beeing the stereotypical ignorant hypocrit by making such a horrible generalization. Most of the people you speak of arent true American muslce cars fans at all. Just little kids who like big cheap engines and often dont even know anything about the cars they defend/bash. They are an INSULT to real American muscle car fans. And the same kind of kids exist that like Japanese and European cars.

And all this crap about American cars and their poor reliability, cheap plastic interiors, and flawed design is nothing but BS. Poor reliability? Yeah, mabye if you treat the car like sh!t. I know from experience that American cars are very reliable machines. "Cheap plastic" seems to be your general term for anything thats not premium leather. But why put premium leather in non-luxury cars and jack up the price? People who buy American performance cars usually care about performance, luxury is often looked upon as overpriced junk (which it is if all your after is a good performer). And your saying that Japanese and German cars use nothing but premium top quality materials, and American cars use nothing but cheap low-quality price saving materials. How do you know this? Do you work at the assembly plants? Do you monitor every part as its made? Magazine articles do not disassemble each car they test and inspect the grade of the metal or non-metal used for each component. And Im damn sure you havent did all that yourself.

3. BMW M:
    We don't get Ladas here in the States. Sure, the Corvette uses cheaper materials for the interior. Doesn't mean won't last as long. Remember the BMW L6, with its leather dash? They had lots of problems with that deteriorating within just a few short years. Ditto the early E36 dashes; they had to totally redo it after the '92 model year.

4. DAMN, BMW M basically broke down for everyone there is nothing more i can say... If someone is close minded there is nothing you can do to change their minds, Im not trying to change anyone's mind, im just trying to open up some minds in this forum to see my point of view, instead i get shameless put downs, falsified statistics and better yet ignorant #$%#s trying to force their ignorance upon everyone else<!-- Signature -->

5. Lets face it, if this comparo was so astronomical and unfair, this forum wouldnt get over 2000 hits and over 140 posts... Thats logic for you<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BMW M</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bowtie Thunder</i>
    <b>The Vette will beat your NSX anyday, and not only is it faster it's also HALF THE PRICE!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I rest my case!!!!

See reason number 2 that I listed in the previous post.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The guy said FASTER! not more reliable, you need to quit making snap judgements

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>DAMN, BMW M basically broke down for everyone there is nothing more i can say... If someone is close minded there is nothing you can do to change their minds, Im not trying to change anyone's mind, im just trying to open up some minds in this forum to see my point of view, instead i get shameless put downs, falsified statistics and better yet ignorant #$%#s trying to force their ignorance upon everyone else</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    First to BMW M; I greatly respect your opinion on this matter as you stated it in your long ass post ( i know that i have made a couple of those) i think that your opinion is too broadly stated as all of the arguments that you made about people not cars hold true to the jap and euro car fans as well. There are portions of each side of the ocean's fan club that do the same shit, dont group all of us together or you become just as bad as the biased people that you are posting against.

Now, WAY2FAST; you sir have no opinion of your own and as i stated earlier you waffle too much and lie on top of it. Now that BMW comes along and starts to argue a point that makes sence you hop on board and claim it as your own even though you had rarely mentioned those thoughts before (except for a slight mention when you were getting burned by your previous retarded posts). You need to stop hiding behind BMW and his opinions, get your own and stick with them for once.

I know that WAY2FAST wont read nor reply to this post because he hasnt and wont reply to the last post that was made by me directed towards him, i have no choice but to think that it is because he knows that what i said in that "novel" a couple pages back is correct, and he has no way to dispute it. hmmm, i guess you really are ignorant WAY2FAST

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>No kidding. Something's kinda fishy when you brag about taking an $80K car (actually aren't they more than that?), and then modding it in order to beat a car that costs only half as much.

Did someone say Consumer Reports? LOL.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    You're an extremely knowledgeable person when it comes to cars. Why do you laugh at Consumer Reports?<!-- Signature -->

9. Zanardi 50

Do you think that high torque is more dangerous than having 60% of a car's weight on the rear wheels? Doesn't the C5 have an aluminum engine that's small and light?<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    <b>Zanardi 50

Do you think that high torque is more dangerous than having 60% of a car's weight on the rear wheels? Doesn't the C5 have an aluminum engine that's small and light?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Corvette is a great car but its massive torque is dangerous for a car. The professionals at Road and Track tested the Corvette Z06 and praised its amazing handling capabilities in completely dry weather but they claimed that the overall handling of the Z06 is not that great. They claimed that the massive torque is "too difficult to handle in rainy or other types of wet weather conditions" but great in dry weather conditions.<!-- Signature -->

11. take that dang vette over any those other shitters mentioned, including that dang NSX, want my car to have a real name, not just a bunch of letters put together<!-- Signature -->

12. Most of the stereotyping and generalizing that I've seen in my life has been right here on this website, and I've only been on this website for a tiny percentage of my life. It's been a real eye opener. I had no idea that there was so much anti-American sentiment among the English speaking people of the world. Most of them seem to be American too. I say that because of the type of English that they use.<!-- Signature -->

13. No kidding. Something's kinda fishy when you brag about taking an $80K car (actually aren't they more than that?), and then modding it in order to beat a car that costs only half as much.

Did someone say Consumer Reports? LOL.

14. Big rob, what is there to reply about, you have nothing intelligent to say. And you call me a liar? what are you talking about, i have been nothing but honest; and yes we are ALL CAR FANS, now some of us are different types of car fans, there are those immature car fans, Also known as NUMBERS FANS, who click on the fastest 0-60 link and see some car that is probably the only one in the world and sit there in awe. Now if your a number fan i guess i cant argue with you, yes the corvette has better numbers, but if you are a TRUE CAR FAN you see my point and you agree with me on why the NSX is overall a better car. <!-- Signature -->

15. Venom your obviously a numbers fan, and MPG im not an anti american, i love my country and i would die for the red white and blue, that doesnt #$%#in mean that i love EVERYTHING about our country, and i dont love the corvette, although i do respect what it brings to the table. Now venom, ill buy a #$%#in Lancer Evo or Impreza STi whose sticker price is 30 grand which is over 20 grand cheaper than the z-06, put the 20 grand into a humongous turbo or a nice lil Zex NOs kit and make the z06 look like an ugly step child, WHAT THE **** IS YOUR POINT BRO?<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>umm....lemme see...the Z06 is a POS

how can they come out with a special edition with much less HP than the Z06....GARBAGE </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

On the contrary, my friend, the C5 Vette is NOT a POS. It's not a high-tech car like the NSX or any ferraris, mind you, but if ANY sports car that can put out 350 to 405 gross HP (61.4 to 71.05 HP/liter vs. NSX's 90.63HP/liter), can pull .90 lateral G, 0-60 in 4.5 sec., and has a top speed of 160mph is definitely NOT garbage. But the car is NOT as refined as the NSX, simply because the car's produced in large quantiies and built on assembly lines (unlike NSX's and other Exotics when they're hand-crafted and finished and made with exotic materials, whichb is also why the C5 is at least $30,000 cheaper than the NSX). Steering response is quite ok but rather numb. It's not as precise as what Road and Track magazine reviewer had mentioned. Rear end had this tendency to lose grip and swing around eagerly when throttle is opened at more than 50%, contrary to the test results from March 2002 issue of Road and Track. But it's a FUN car to drive, probably even more fun (but lot more dangerous) than the NSX, because there's just so much torque to induce tailspins if one's not careful with throttle aplications.
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>

An NSX is only 3.2L and the Vette is a 5.7L..and their performance is so close.......ummmmm what does that say....Vette=TOTAL GARBAGE</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're wrong. The NSX is an exceptional car with F-1-esque V-tec technology (a little bit of the technology derived from late 80's Honda championship-winning F-1 V-8 and V-10 engines) that lets the NSX's C32B engine redline at 8000RPM, thanks to its light-weight Aluminum Engine block, FRM-lined Cylinder sleeves, and ultra light-weight Titanium pistons and connecting rods. If you look at ANY 3.2 liter V-6's (or ANY liter displacement V-6's) on the market out there, you're NOT gonna find ANY of them going higher than 220HP. But Honda may chose to put a 3.8 liter V-8 in their next gen NSX that makes 420+HP, but then they might decide to go with a 3.5 liter V-6 (300HP and 30ft.lbs of torque) AND 100 more horsies boost from a separate electric motor, just like the DN-X Dualnote prototype, but that is yet confirmed since Honda is keeping their lips sealed.

On That being said, the C-5's NASCAR-like Iron-casted V-8 doesn't utilize any of these technologies (its only weapon against the NSX is the fact that its 115HP advantage over the NSX comes from its HUMONGOUS 5.7 liter displacement, therefore allowing it to produce higher HP with ease), but its relatively low-tech nature and assembly line production makes it extremly cheaper to build, which is a greater bargain than the NSX, IF performance is the ONLY thing you're sought after. Exotic the C-5 IS NOT, but performance bargain IT IS, so it's not fair for you to say that the C-5 is trash just because of this, when performance is what matters to Chevy and to most enthusiasts here at Supercars.net, NOT how exotic and high-tech a car is.
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>umm....lemme see...the Z06 is a POS

how come the viper and the vette are the only cars that are ever compared to every other car out there....

becuase they are the only cars that can even come close to comparing to a import of half the caliber....

ofcourse the stupid american cars have to have at least 2-5L displacement advantage and beats a car with less HP and less displacement by only .5 second ......ummmm total garbage</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Everyone plays favorites, and since the Viper and Z06 represents the pride and technological breakthrough of ALL red-blooded Americans, it's only natural to compare these two cars against the best of Europe and Japan. There's nothing wrong in that, if you ask me. As far as U.S. needing to have larger displacement to compete with the Japanese and the Europeans, hey, it's cheaper to produce and much more profitable for Detroit than to play with smaller engines that requires much more technology and R & D (more $$ spent) to make themselves more competitive within that realm. Detroit feel that it's not worth their $$ to pour in technology into building smaller engines when they are doing fine with their bigblocks. And let's face it, it's a hell lot more profitable for GM and Chevy to make all of that power in a bigger engine and sell them cheap so that more of us non-millionaires could enjoy high performance (but rather low tech) sports car of this caliber. Profitability is their motive when creating the C-5, NOT technological breakthrough or showcase, which is what Honda was achieving when they concoted the NSX.
    As far as whether or not Detroit can make a car as high tech as the NSX, well, I can't say for sure. But GM R&D DID take apart an NSX two years ago just to study its incredible all-aluminum chasis rigidity that's comparable or exceeds steel chasis with its advanced spot-welding techniques. MAybe they're hoping to master what Honda had already achieved a decade ago. That says alot about the NSX in the eyes of the American engineers, wouldn't you say?

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Aight, im a new user and im disguisted with the worshipping of the US sport cars, just like this corvette here. I own a 2001 NSX and I make these sorry ass corvettes look stupid with consistency.... PLEASE make a car that can compete with the big boys and that can last over 10 thousand miles..

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, CAN THIS PIECE OF SHIT DO ANYTHING AGAINST THE NSX?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>aright, great replies, i appreciate it. AND yes, i do really own a 01 NSX, now stock your right, i cant handle the corvette, but after a few easy mods, i mean performance intake, exhaust, headers and gears/pulleys, im pushing around 345 HP, and i easily take corvettes, WITH a smaller engine. I race at qualcomm stadium in San Diego CA, and win with consistency. I out perform the vettes in the 1/8 and 1/4 AND also on the street my car is much much much more prestigious.

Lets not forget that the vette loses half its value after 1 year, never leaves the shop and is A CHEVY with electronics and powertrain that was last updated in the "12-th" century... Besides American engeneering is the LACK of engeneering, i mean the only way an american car can generate 350 HP is my having a 5.7 L v8... PUH-THETIC... besides who got the 4.2 acceleration on the stock corvette? Car and driver tested the z-06 at 4.24.... Something here isnt right </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Big rob, what is there to reply about, you have nothing intelligent to say. And you call me a liar? what are you talking about, i have been nothing but honest; and yes we are ALL CAR FANS, now some of us are different types of car fans, there are those immature car fans, Also known as NUMBERS FANS, who click on the fastest 0-60 link and see some car that is probably the only one in the world and sit there in awe. Now if your a number fan i guess i cant argue with you, yes the corvette has better numbers, but if you are a TRUE CAR FAN you see my point and you agree with me on why the NSX is overall a better car. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

These are your first quotes and then your last. You started this forum to bash the Vette on the basis that you will beat it in your NSX, by numbers. As you were shown to be wrong, you have changed arguments over and over again. You have not answered the questions asked you, and now you are just slamming other people. You are a hypocrite. Untill you answer the questions I have asked you, aknowledged that you are basicly wrong in what you said at the outset and just stopped being an ass, you have nothing. You are far from a true car enthusiast. How much have you worked to get your ride, oh yeah, it was given to you. Most people with a ride had to bust balls to get it, and that is pretty well important in who you call a true car enthusiast.

BMW M, you are really pushing it. You have by virtue of the fact that I like US cars, accused me of being a stereotypical, ignorant, trouble causeing, import hating jackass. Look at any of my posts on any forum and try to pin that crap on me. With but a few exceptions among hundreds of posts (and those in responses to people like WAYTOFAST4U) you can not. There is a real irony that you are calling me a judgemental person here. I know its not personal, but I really don't care. You spouted some misleading crap. There are idiots of all types on this site. This thread was started to piss of the Domestic fans. There are fools who love and bash all types of cars, end of story.

Read my post on page 2 people, it really answers a lot.
    <!-- Signature -->

18. Oh yeah, WAY2FAST, read my signature.<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Venom your obviously a numbers fan, and MPG im not an anti american, i love my country and i would die for the red white and blue, that doesnt #$%#in mean that i love EVERYTHING about our country, and i dont love the corvette, although i do respect what it brings to the table. Now venom, ill buy a #$%#in Lancer Evo or Impreza STi whose sticker price is 30 grand which is over 20 grand cheaper than the z-06, put the 20 grand into a humongous turbo or a nice lil Zex NOs kit and make the z06 look like an ugly step child, WHAT THE **** IS YOUR POINT BRO?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And you really know nothing about the Evo near as I can tell. Why put a huge turbo on it? Its running a 16G. Zex nitrous? You have to be kidding me, you wont need that. And the Evo is looking like more along the lines of 35-40 thousand USD. The STi, unmodded will not stay with any Vette, of that I am certain. Read the info. Active real-time damping! Thats amazing. So is the traction controll on the Z06. Dont say what you dont know.<!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>BMW M:
    We don't get Ladas here in the States. Sure, the Corvette uses cheaper materials for the interior. Doesn't mean won't last as long. Remember the BMW L6, with its leather dash? They had lots of problems with that deteriorating within just a few short years. Ditto the early E36 dashes; they had to totally redo it after the '92 model year.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

If you read my previous post, you will see that I never stated that luxury=quality. I stated that luxury = a greater price tag and this is a well known fact. I was simply trying to illustrate that the NSX costs more because it has a premium interior and is a hand built automobile thus, leading to the $90,000 price tag. Most people seem to think that the $90,000 USD price tag is a "rip off"(American muscle fans) without considering factors other than performance. People do buy cars for reasons other than performance. It is for this reason that many individuals would pay $90,000 USD to get the balanced combination of luxury and performance that come with an NSX. And the point I gave about reliability is totally independent from the luxury factor. The mechanics, auto owners, auto professionals, and auto makers opinions and assessment that goes into the Consumer's Report Auto Magazine is highly reliable. The NSX and every Honda recieved the highest rating possible (a rating of exceptional) in terms of reliability, while every Chevy excluding the Cavalier and the Malibu were given the lowest rating (a rating of poor) in terms of reliability. Now the many of you who doubt my opinion, can't you at least trust the automotive experts, owners, and mechanics who's framework is highly reliable? So Guibo, I did not say that luxury= reliability I said that luxury= higher $$$ and I said that reliability= the assessment of automobile owners, experts, and mechanics. Are we clear? <!-- Signature -->

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bigrob</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BMW M</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bowtie Thunder</i>

I rest my case!!!!

See reason number 2 that I listed in the previous post.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The guy said FASTER! not more reliable, you need to quit making snap judgements</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I'm not doubting that the Corvette is faster, but did you see the part where he capitalized for "HALF THE PRICE" assuming that the Corvette is better simply because it outperforms the NSX without considering the NSX is more expensive for the reasons I've repeated numerous times.<!-- Signature -->

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from PABSTmullet</i>
    <b>take that dang vette over any those other shitters mentioned, including that dang NSX, want my car to have a real name, not just a bunch of letters put together</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

See it's stereotypical morons like this guy that piss me off!!! A well refined exotic supercar like the NSX is an automobile with a bunch of letters put together? Why don't you go and do some research before you run your ignorant and uneducated mouth? I'm too tired explaining reasons as to why you're an idiot and why the NSX is a great car, so why don't you spend 2 minutes of your worthless time to read previous posts instead of further proving my point of the ignorance of American Muscle fans.<!-- Signature -->

23. mpg:
    Consumer Reports is good for some things. Rating dishwashers, detergent, hammers, kid's bicycles, some electronics. But rating cars? I'd trust a C&D, or R&T, or EVO, or J.D. Power report (long-term or otherwise) over anything they may have to say about cars. Hell, they couldn't even get a car wax test right. They rated that blue Zymol stuff from the Chicago factory as #1 not too long ago. Despite the fact that it is just a variation of a Turtle Wax formula. I tried that very same wax before I read the test and was only marginally impressed with it. The REAL Zymol wax, however, is a different ballgame.

24. BMW M:
    Now you're starting to sound like those nannies who cry out that cars like the Viper are too dangerous. C'mon, these cars have progressive throttles. You have a brain connected a right foot. Just don't use all three like ON/OFF switches (which they aren't), and you'll have no problems.
    Funny how the Z06 still beat them all in the wet, no? And it didn't even have the ideal weight distribution for laying down the power and torque. Actually, this is not surprising. C&D did a comparo of a C5 vs. a 996 Carrera C4 (AWD) on a wet autocross course a few years ago. Both cars turned in identical times, when driven by a pro, either with each car's active handling system on or off. The amateur, however, was able to lap faster in the C5 in either mode than he could with the Carrera 4. Both drivers lapped quickest in the C5 in competition mode in the wet.

25. Yes after reading car and driver i realized that the z06 is the best damn handler out there, however is this a #$%#in 50th anneversary z06 forum or 50th anneversary of Corvette forum? So please stay on topic.

And just because my car was handed down to me doesnt make me any less of a car fan or any less of a man than you, I'm a huge car fan.

And i do not need to drive a 5.7 liter engine car to compensate for a lack of inches of my manhood, unlike some muscle boys in here...<!-- Signature -->