Re: gto vs. 2003 mustang cobra

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Do you know the meaning of Modded?....Modifying a stock car with aftermarket accessories...Last I checked the cobra comes stock with a supercharger. Stock from the factory with warranty etc. Just so that you know, I am not saying anything bad about the GTO....hell its an American Muscle car and an icon, LOVE the engine, the outside..looks to typical too boring to me, but thats just a matter of preference. Even ford fans will agree that the LS engine, is one hell of an engine, detuned or not

2. Yes, I do. It doesn't matter if it's factory it's still modded if it has a supercharger, it might be stock if it's factory, but it's still modded.

3. ok hoseman do u like arguing on the internet? are you a supercar guru?
    well all i can say is no one looks at the picture of this car and i will tell you all the truth right now.

the 2004 gto is basically a pontiac grand prix with alot more hp do u see the resemblance when you look at the picture?
    cause if you don't then you don't deserve to be on here
    now please call me a liar if you think it resembles something else

4. The GTO isnt a grand prix, it is a Holden Monaro with more power and a different front end

5. Yeah, pretty much.

6. YOOOOOUUUUUU BAT!!!!!!! if it does have 425hp it better run 11s b4 id buy it. and 380rwhp does not i say NOT!!! EQUAL HIGH 12s.

7. 12.6 second quarter mile run..STOCK

8. the gto would waste a rustang cobra if you were even the least bit informed you would realize that the new gto will be close to the vette's zo6 level of torque and horsepower, therefore being around 405 hp and 400 lb ft oh and whats that the rustang only has 390 hp & 390 torque with a supercharger gm doesnt need superchargers to get power

9. So GM would take your advice and give the GTO the same HP and torque numbers as the Z06...You think they would be stupid enough to hurt the corvettes in sales. Simple math, give 2 cars the same HP and torque and price them differently....Do you think people would be stupid enough to buy the more expensive one, when they can buy a less expensive one with the same performance specs? let alone from the same car manufacturer

10. Holy shit Camaro you're such a f^cking idiot, damn. How many times do people have to tell you the Mustang Cobra is STOCK. It came from factory with the SC on it, SO THAT MAKES IT STOCK. We (ford guys) didn't complain about the camaros extra 1.1 liters of engine, I guess that makes it "modded" to and not stock, moron.
    I don't care if the msutang came with twin turbos from factory IT WOULD STILL BE STOCK IDIOT. If you put something on your car then its modded, when a car company adds something at the factory its stock, how much easier do we have to make it for you? Your not even 12 are you, I'm guessing something like 8 years old...

11. Hey moron it does go low 12's stock. The best I have seen it so far is 12.4 seconds, not to bad huh.
    Oh and while I'm at it, what the hell do you mean when you say,"you mustang guys eat sleep"? Eat sleep, you ride the short bus to school don't you?

12. well mr doesnt know howto read i said will be CLOSE not exactly the same levels and lets think a little camaro & firebird ring a bell and they did great for several years

13. Hey, dont let your panties get all tangled up there buddy, lets relax with the illiteracy comments. We all know how great the camaro and firebird were, but GM didnt make them that close in performance to the corvette. The SS at best had 325HP the Base Vette has 385....Your speculations are a mere 10HP difference between the Z06 and the Firebird. You think people are going to pay an extra 10 to 15 thousand dollars for an extra 10HP? Think about it..whats the price of the Z06 compared to the GTO. My point is that I highly doubt that the GTO has only 10HP less than the z06

14. well mr rustang you could read also you would of noticed i said close, dont take it for me read corvette magazine where the quote is from pontiac themselfs... "Pontiac has announced that it now intends to bring the Monaro's LS1 closer to the Corvette levels of torque and exhaust flow."

15. The GTO is an awsome Pontiac I would love to own a car like that. For anyone who thinks a mustang could beat it. Thanx for making me laugh. Ford, is the worst american car made. It gives an bad name for all other american car makers like, GM. Ford is SHIT!

16. Is that the reason why FORD sells more cars and trucks than GM? Is that the reason why GM had to stop producing their affordable Performance cars?

17. All that I have to say is that the Ford Buttstain (mustang) sucks. Everyone knows that the 2003 Cobra is over rated. I work at a performance shop, and yesturday we dynoed a brand new 2003 cobra and it only made 338 RWHP at 3,453 Rpm's. The Pontiac GTO has 342 RWHP at 3,324 Rpm's, and 369 lb-ft of torque. I know this because I am a member to the F-Body club of Central Florida, and we get inside in for from GM. I also know that the GTo is not a 4-door sedan. Take that Ford!

Pony's are for little girls. Bowties are for boys.

18. This is GM country, and on a quiet night you could hear a Ford rust.

19. Horsepower isn't everything? Well why do you say that this will beat the Z28 because it has an extra 50hp? This car is going to be a heavy piece of shit if it is going to be around the same weight as the Holden Monaro, if so it will be around 1600kg

20. #96 YSSMAN, Dec 30, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    As A Chevy Guy, I Believe That The GTO Should, And Possibly Will Beat The Cobra In Many Many Performance Tests. After Recently Visiting www.pontiac.com/gto....It Says That The GTO Should Make Atleast 340HP, Not Bad I Say, But Its Taking n A 380HP Supercharged POS.....While HP Ratings May Not Matter In Some Cases (Vette VS Viper), I Think It Will Make A Difference Here.

However, Performance (0-60 Wise) Is Not Always The Deciding FactorIn High Performance Vehicles......My Guess Is That The GTO Will Run Circles Around The Stang At The REAL Track....EASILY!

And Even Then, I Imagine That The Fit And Finish Of This Vehicle Is Going To Be Much Better Than The Mustnag! Ive Driven The Stang, It Was Nice, But Not As Nice As What I Would Like. The Damn Supercharger Makes Too Much Noise For My Tastes Than You Very Much, So Ill Stick To Naturally Aspirated All American V-8s.

But I Say Lets Wait A While And See What Happens Whith The GTO. I Bet That A Year Or Two After Production Begins, The Return Of "The Judge" Will Be Uppon Us, That Of Course Hot On The Heels Of The Caddy CTS-V....A Definate Stang Killer!

Id Say The SVT's Days Are Numbered. Its Had Its Fun While The F-Body Is Gone, But Good Buddy GM Has Found Some Replacemets (For Now).

21. #97 YSSMAN, Dec 30, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    As A Chevy Guy, I Believe That The GTO Should, And Possibly Will Beat The Cobra In Many Many Performance Tests. After Recently Visiting www.pontiac.com/gto....It Says That The GTO Should Make Atleast 340HP, Not Bad I Say, But Its Taking n A 380HP Supercharged POS.....While HP Ratings May Not Matter In Some Cases (Vette VS Viper), I Think It Will Make A Difference Here.

However, Performance (0-60 Wise) Is Not Always The Deciding FactorIn High Performance Vehicles......My Guess Is That The GTO Will Run Circles Around The Stang At The REAL Track....EASILY!

And Even Then, I Imagine That The Fit And Finish Of This Vehicle Is Going To Be Much Better Than The Mustnag! Ive Driven The Stang, It Was Nice, But Not As Nice As What I Would Like. The Damn Supercharger Makes Too Much Noise For My Tastes Than You Very Much, So Ill Stick To Naturally Aspirated All American V-8s.

But I Say Lets Wait A While And See What Happens Whith The GTO. I Bet That A Year Or Two After Production Begins, The Return Of "The Judge" Will Be Uppon Us, That Of Course Hot On The Heels Of The Caddy CTS-V....A Definate Stang Killer!

Id Say The SVT's Days Are Numbered. Its Had Its Fun While The F-Body Is Gone, But Good Buddy GM Has Found Some Replacemets (For Now).

22. I couldnt be bothered reading all of the posts on this thread but the CV8 Monaro we have in Australia has 225kW (300hp), which is the one that will be exported to the US. The HSV GTS Coupe has 300kW (402hp) wont be going Stateside.
    The Monaro is based on a 4-door Holden Commodore which is around 1600kg (not sure how many lb's) and in my opinion isnt worth sending.
    The Mustang would really win as the Monaro/GTO is piss poor.

23. I agree.

What some people don't want to see is that this car is based on COMMODORE (no matter how many doors or how powerful would be its engine)

It would be a good match for BMW M5, but Monaro isn't in Mustang Cobra Category as Mustang isn't in Corvette category.

24. What is wrong with is being based on a commodore? they are good cars, maybe not up to the refinement of the germans but still pretty good