Should the next F1 engine

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by burner, Mar 9, 2010.

1. No, I dont. 2009 Kers was rated at 80hp, the new kers would be significantly more than that, say 200hp. (The mercedes system put out well over 100hp, but had to be dialed down to fit into the rules.) The engines currently get 5mpg, but the onus is on speed, not efficiency. Im sure with a high performance diesel turbo with kers, the fuel economy could be remarkable. Especially considering these cars only weigh 620kg including driver.

2. with a high performance turbo diesel with kers..the car will not weight 620kg anymore

3. Who cares about efficiency? Efficiency is tedious. It belongs in endurance racing and the like, not in F1.

4. pff course it will, kers weighs 30 kg, engine wouldnt weigh more than 90kg. V10s used to be weigh under 90kg.

5. Yep.

6. so you want F1 to be a racing series that dawdles around the track at 60kmh?

7. well mr. engineer prove us wrong and do it. You have no formal knowledge of anthing engine related yet you say it can be done.

by the end of the f1 season you need to have a turbo diesel powered f1 car built that has 700+hp with an entire engine package weighing less than they current v8.

8. More KERS power = more batter drain = more intake of kenetic force from braking. So even with only 80HP of last year, there where still times when the sytem wouldnt get refilled per each lap.

9. actually its pretty damned easy to figure it out with basic DAQ equiptment for a racecar. all you need is the loading on the car through the track (not that hard to figure out with DAQ equiptment). from there you can figure out how much energy you need.

You have the energy of the fuel. Thats the only energy source of the car. You cant use more than that much energy. about 30% is the realistic limit. Compare the 2, calculate in MPG.

not that hard to calculate the theoretical limit.

10. Do you mean to tell me that F1 cars are meant to be fast, not fuel efficient?

Well I for one am shocked.

11. Hey, he's the all knowing F1 genius. You better recognize.

12. Errr, that's not how engineering works. Everyone knows exactly what the theoretical limits are. The real world cases are a different story since it's nearly impossible to account for every single variable.

13. obviously you can work out the potential energy of 1 litre of diesel fuel and work out the energy required to push a 620kg car around a track at an avg of 200kmh, but im pretty sure that based off theory 20mpg is more than possible. In the real world it would be interesting to see what they could do with their technological prowess. Remember F1 teams are based in Europe, not the USA, they actually know how to make cars here.

14. Theoretically, if you worked out how to send a car around a track at 200km/h average, you would only need to work out the various forces such as wind drag, rolling resistance and drive train losses.

However, in the "real world" there are laws of physics. The variable you meant to mention was acceleration (not average speed which is meaningless).

Ok, the amount of energy required depends on the weight of the car (given: 620kg), the desired amount of acceleration needed (since you can't have an exciting race when the cars are moving slowly), and the distance the car needs to move to obtain its mileage target (let's keep it all metric for convenience. I'll change your 20mpg figure to 20 litres per 100km.)

Ok, so we need to move a car that weighs 620kg a distance of 5km (100/20) at a nominal rate of acceleration.
    The weight and acceleration can be multiplied together to get a force (F=MA). Multiplying the force into the distance traveled gives you a figure for Mechanical Work.

Racing is mostly about beating the clock these days, so time needs to be a part of the process. This can be derived from the nominal acceleration figure.

As a result we get mechanical work/time. Otherwise known as POWER.

Yeah, you could go through all that and work out every single detail and then present the list of arbitrary limits for the engineers to work out (since they're engineers with technological prowess and all)...or you could just set a power limit and a restriction on the amount of fuel that a car is given. Something that even you could understand.

To other people on the site, particularly engineers, forgive the messiness of my calculations and reasoning...it's kinda hard to justify such a stupid idea as burner's.

15. Everyone has an engineering degree at SC.net

16. but some of ours are from real universities.

17. universities*

18. F1 should just go back to the rules from the early 90s, that'll do me.

V8/V10/V12
    Great looking cars
    Overtaking

Go back to those tracks as well, because the current ones are shite.

19. /#$%#ing thread

21. So have we worked out how SC.net is going to make a 20MPG, diesel powered, avg speed of 200kmh F1 car yet? Oh, and I'm american, so I'll just watch. Plz post how the car is coming on youtubes, lol.

22. This thread is stupid.

23. give them all Triumph Dolomite Sprints of equal shitness then it'll be a test of driver skill

24. Burner burn...?