the fastest car in that time!

Discussion in '1968 Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3' started by look4mercedes, Aug 9, 2002.

1. This car whas the fastest production car in the world, any other car was slower than the 6.3, it is one of the finest oldtimers made in that time, the top-speed was naer 300 and not 221 kph!

2. Re: the fastest car in that time!

A 300 hp sedan in 1968, amazing !!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: the fastest car in that time!

definantly a beast a mechanic i knew actually drove one of these once said the 6.3 V8 was one of the most enjoyable engines he ever drove

4. Re: the fastest car in that time!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 300CE24_RULE</i>
    <b>A 300 hp sedan in 1968, amazing !!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->nice indeed!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: the fastest car in that time!

top speed is correct, with an air resistance value near a cupboard you can't achieve speed near 300kph ;)<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: the fastest car in that time!

300bhp and 588NM of torque in 1968 is amazing.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: the fastest car in that time!

Man, its a Merc they always achieve new things without trying.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: It's the fastest car my dad owns...

hehe...reading all you guys replies to this. yeah, well it's true...the 300 SEL is fast coz my dad just did his one up. he ought it from an auction for AU$400 buck and did it up with cost nothing really coz it was a abandon restoration project.
    It's the fastest thing i swear, never been in a family car that fast..hehehe and the coolest part is you know your safe travelling so fast coz it's a Merc.
    Plus my dad works with top japanese sports cars and I've been in a couple of good ones, but hey! if you wanna have comfort and speed get a V8 Merc. like this one.....and plus, it's a good car for a smoke up....rather.....a BURNOUT!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: the fastest car in that time!

i cant vouch as to the top speed of the car, but i have a notion that it wasnt the fastest car in '68. many 4000-lb american sedans of the time had quite a few more inches under the hood, and a lot more hp - so it seems to me that theyd be faster than this merc. dont get me wrong, im not bagging on the car, i like it, i just dont think it was the fastest around.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: the fastest car in that time!

Great car....but can't b compared 2 the /////AMG 6.8L (426HP)....it was made in aprox. the same years<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: the fastest car in that time!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from caddybadboy</i>
    <b>i cant vouch as to the top speed of the car, but i have a notion that it wasnt the fastest car in '68. many 4000-lb american sedans of the time had quite a few more inches under the hood, and a lot more hp - so it seems to me that theyd be faster than this merc. dont get me wrong, im not bagging on the car, i like it, i just dont think it was the fastest around.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yes, just that muscle car's hp counts wheren't NET Gross!

12. Re: the fastest car in that time!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Supra Sonic</i>
    <b>Man, its a Merc they always achieve new things without trying.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Nice username buddy, I am impressed with this car it is a beauty.