What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Discussion in '2002 Jaguar S-Type R' started by fordracing, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MIKORX</i>
    <b>I say they suck. They look like shit, they sound like shit, and a lot of the time their overall performance is shit. Musclecars and any American car licks more donkey balls that any other car on the planet.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

whats wrong with you? explain to me how they suck. can you buy a faster new car than a zo6 for cheaper? no. and the sound of a big block V8 is the best sound that can come from an engine IMO and many others i bet.

2. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

everyone always overloks the oldsmobile muscle cars!!! its startin to piss me off. but anyway look at the gas mileage on this thing 30.5!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

As to the question "What ever happened to the good old muscle cars?" they are gone for a number of reasons. First, the government. They don't want us consuming so much gas, and they consider over-powered cars to be a danger to society. They feel that if so much power was readily available to the public at a low price, we'd all die a horrible death on the roads (if you ask me, a person on a cellphone behind the wheel of a huge SUV is twice as dangerous as a street racer, at least the racer is watching the road). Second, Insurance companies. They hate it when they have to pay us, even though they have no problem taking our money. And third, Automakers. If they put powerful engines in all their cars, their planned obsolesence policy would not work because the parts would break too quickly, they'd get sued left and right. If it was up to me, we'd all be driving fun, fast cars. I doubt there would be any more gridlock. I'll keep my Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Corvette C4, thank you.

4. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

The solstice hasn't even posted numbers yet, don't compare it to the legendary Cuda until you know what you're talking about. And I think muscle car styling is a lot nicer than the crap they're putting out now. It's direct, bold, agressive. No subtleties, just like you'll find under the hood. <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Im a person who likes both muscle cars and the cars of today. Old muscle cars, in there time were great. Unfortunately, they are no longer the force they once were. Back i the old days, handling breaking etc didnt mean quite so much. Nor did ride quality, comfort and other "luxuries". Or for that matter safety. These days, car makers have reached performance fugures they are relatively happy with. Straight line performance and is on the whole a huge amount better then in those days, and makers are looking for new ways to make their cars "superior" to the competition. For this we now look to those issues i meantioned previously. Soem cars in the past are comparable to some of todays in terms of power and acceleration/speed. However, in other area, (high speed stability, braking, cornering, grip, handling, aerodynamics, comfort, etc) new cars are greatly superior. Were talking about the days in which seatbelts were often optional. Drivers would slide around on their seats like they're ice when cornering at even low speeds. And unfortunately, the only strengths these past muschle cars have are very controversial. One man can say they look agressive and "mean", have the best engine notes, and have huge power and torque. Others will say they have poor efficiency (in general), are uncomfortable and impractical, are increadibly unsafe, suck to much fuel, and have all agression and no style or class. I for one, see both sides, and take some arguments from each side. I think its amazing what these cars were capable of in their time. I say they are ledgends. I say they are a piece of history. I also say tahat after getting used to todays luxuries that we take for granted, (power windows, electric leather bucket seats, cruise control, climate control, ABS brakes, traction control, 4 wheel drive, quality sound systems) i find it difficult to imagine going back to an old muscle car. and althought there cars undoubtable have a great presence, i dont believe they can match the beauty of say, a Ferrari 360 Spider or a Benz CLK.
    True ; muscle cars make huge power and torque effectively.
    True ; it isnt done with a great deal of engineering excellence or efficiency.
    True ; a smaller engine with say, a turbo, can bring similar power and even torque levels (e.g. 911t) with greater efficiency.
    true ; they tend to have lower reliability standards then say, many japanese and european models.

In the end, it al comes down to personal preference. each man (or woman) posseses the freedom to like and admire what they wish, and this right should not be taken away. Muscle cars are great, so are new-age cars. They are just different, and great in different ways. I just wish more people could understand this.

Note: sorry for the excrusiatingly long post.

6. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

they bacame extinct and went exactly where they belong: HELL

THANK GOD

7. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

DUDE z06 corvette's have small block v8's not big

8. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Ummmmm.....

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT MUSCLE CARS ON A FORUM FOR A LUXURY IMPORT CAR?????<!-- Signature -->

9. Muscle cars are the only way to go but what cars will take there place in 30-40 years.

10. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

cars of today are better than muscle cars could ever dream of.

11. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Depends on how you look at the big picture. Muscle cars are easy to work on. replacement parts are abundant and not expensive. You can tune them how you wish and not worry about smog laws. You can add just about any feature a new car has as long as one is willing to part with the cash. When a muscle car is mean it usualy has a mean
    exhaust note. A muscle cars handling is usualy crap and needs lots of work. Gas hogs but fuel injection can be added for $1,200-$2,000 the more expensive is for tuned multi port injection that will save gas and increase power. Muscle cars come with big engines that make lots of torque and hp. These big engines are finding there way to trucks more and more often not on cars. Some muscle cars look cool and some dont. That is the case with all newer cars. Muscle cars are made of steele. New cars are made of plastic. Power windows break, dont have to worry about that with most muscle cars. As you can see I am biased toward muscle cars over most new cars. I know how to fix muscle cars if they break. I dont know how to fix a new cars computer. GM power window servos cost about $275 (96 chevy camaro)to replace. Other prices vary for different makes.

12. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

I agree that muscle cars are infintely easier to work on, but the cars of our time are MUCH more effecient machines and the styling really is much better than almost all muscle cars with a few exceptions.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Efficient machines? Well your efficient shit will get smoked by muscle cars, and their styling was not bad, it was the popular style of the time. How can you say that muscle cars suck? Chevelle's, Charger's, Challenger's, Nova's, Mustang's, Camaro's, Trans-Ams...muscle cars rule.

14. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Holy crap calm down! I didn't say they suck woman! Did you even read the whole post? As far as getting "smoked", have you ever raced an import against a muscle car? Yeah? Well it will be the same feeling when your Cuda gets smoked by a Solstice for the first time. Idiot.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

I say they suck. They look like shit, they sound like shit, and a lot of the time their overall performance is shit. Musclecars and any American car licks more donkey balls that any other car on the planet.

16. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Yea right, japland sucks, America Made 4 life<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ghost of freedom</i>
    <b>Muscle cars are the only way to go but what cars will take there place in 30-40 years.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    What do you mean '30-40 years from now'? look around, because in case you havent noticed, there not exactly the dominent species round these parts anymore. The tragedy of muscle cars dissapearing 30 or 40 years from now? your a bid late. Im not trying to be nasty or nothing, but thats it.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

Good point USRACING. Why is this post here?
    Most muscle cars got dropped after the gas crisis in the 70's. We as Americans were consuming too much oil and gas and contrary to known economic laws, said we wouldn't pay a damn penny more. When demand goes up, so does the price. The gov't had a price ceiling on imported oil and petroleum products and wouldn't repeal it, forcing people to sit in long lines for little gas. Then the Japs introduce these nipshit cars that get better than 8 gallons to the mile like our tanks did. Muscle cars and all the old tanks were not the most efficient of vehicles. I'd love to have the old cherry-red Chevelle SS my mom had back then, but I like the economy of my Honda too. These rice-rocket cars have become the new "muscle cars" even though they look like shit and sound like someone taking a shit.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: What ever happened to the good old muscle cars

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sketchas</i>
    <b>
    they bacame extinct and went exactly where they belong: HELL

THANK GOD</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Dude seriously? Hell? Don't you think your going a little overboard? Thats truly some cold shit man.

In regards to muscle cars, lets say the mustang 350 GT (gone in 60 seconds style) how easy is it to increase handling with new technology? Can't be to hard to bring it up to reasonable specs can it? Lower the car properly, Drop some 19inch low pros with wide rubber, roll cage, front and rear sway bars, ABS, traction control, steel braded brake cables, big disc brakes, etc. I don't know if this is enough but it can't be that hard to bring a muscle car into the world of decent handling. Remember back in the day these big cars used 14inch pizza cutters on 65-70series rubber, changing the wheels tires and lowerd should drastically increase handling dynamics! The rest of the changes should increase the handling another 100%.

Personally I like many styles of the muscle car era. They just need some simple tweaks. Read up on some Hot Rod and muscle car mags. Ive seen old cars I would never look at look great with a few simple modifications.

In regards to muscle cars vanishing. It will never ever happen. Why? Great long heritage. And a strong fan following that wont die out. Even if you hate Hot rods and Muscle cars you have to admit that. <!-- Signature -->