Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

Discussion in '1997 Lotus Elise GT1' started by shelbymaniac, Aug 10, 2002.

1. The viper venom 800 runs about $167,000. It does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and blasts through the quarter mile in 9 seconds. But you have to give this car credit for it's appearance. It is just way overpriced.

2. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

i reather get this cuz it can handle WAY better than the any viper<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

This thread is a joke and the person who started this knowz sh|t about cars. Lick my pouch asshole.

4. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

Get on a race track and we will see which car is faster.

5. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

The stupid Viper Venom 800 just has a tricked out engine that cost $55,000 to convert a regular Viper. What happens when you make a true supercar have 800 bhp and race the quarter mile against a viper?
    The Lotus Gt1 has better handling on the track.The Viper is too small and it's a very rough ride.

6. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

Viper is garbage comparing to this car. This Lotus only has 350hp and can run at 3.8 secs 0-60miles. If it has 800 hp, it will be flying like an airplane. I wonder if the Venom 800 can corner like this car or not.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

lotus has class, viper does not
    the viper may be awesome, but the lotus still kicks ass<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

CUS THIS SHOWS YOU COULD AFORD A GOOD CAR NOT LIKE A CHEAP VIPER VENSHIT 800

9. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shelbymaniac</i>
    <b>The viper venom 800 runs about $167,000. It does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and blasts through the quarter mile in 9 seconds. But you have to give this car credit for it's appearance. It is just way overpriced.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

vipers may be fast, but you can't even turn with them
    The venom 800 runs the quarter mile in 10.7
    Oh WOW you can race the venom on the drag strip all day, well guess what the Elise will beat your viper on the track
    You make the GT1 a 500 bhp and it will beat or do an equal amount of time on the drag strip. So your question is why buy a GT1 when you can buy a venom.
    I'm going to tell you why, because people wealthy enough to own this car want to be different and not drive a piece of crap that you can see on every street corner. Besides the venom is just a tuner. the conversion kit cost $55,000 to make it a venom
    <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

Why get a Venom 800, if your goal is to blast through a 1/4-mile??You can stuff a blower into a Cuda 426.Spend 50k instead of 167.

GT1 is all about handling! But 640k is rather steep!! <!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

Oh dear.. I see that people are again numbers obsessed. Lotus never produced this car for the road - they had one or two road-going versions to allow them entry into the GT championship - that was the sole purpose of the car.

Given the rarity of this motor, why would you want to boast about Vipers out performing it? Less than 3 of these are on the road - w-o-r-l-d-w-i-d-e. I saw one for sale recently - Lotus Motorsport prepped, came with its own semi trailer, but no engine / gearbox - cost? Around £300k.

Who cares what out-drags this - it is truly unique, and has handling which is unrivalled. Some people on this forum are so naive and impudent...

12. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

durablity. The number one rule of racing "it is better to be durable than fast." Think about it even if the viper can pick up 2 or 3 seconds a lap over this, within the first 10 laps the viper will break down and spend a half hour in the pits because its engine is just a modified truck engine (hahahaha). It doesnt even out picking up some time on a lap and spending way more in the pits, making this the better car.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

This car only has 300 bhp and goes 195 if they'd wanted to they could have stuck a tank weight V12 in and wasted the viper but they wnted it to have class and handle well

14. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

cuz it handles better aand looks better!!!<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

though i hate to agree with the people who go agaisnt this forum the viper 800 is powerful but look at this car almost 2000lbs and does almost about 200mph.man thats a lot of power for only 350hp.

16. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

When this car originally raced in 97 Lotus backed two teams but because Lotus always has problems with money it never got the development that it deserved. One team had the raced tuned engine from the Esprit GT1. If memory serves me correctly the other had a remapped Corvette engine that Lotus was developing for GM at the time.<!-- Signature -->

17. this is better than viper

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shelbymaniac</i>
    <b>The viper venom 800 runs about $167,000. It does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and blasts through the quarter mile in 9 seconds. But you have to give this car credit for it's appearance. It is just way overpriced.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

viper regularly is 450 hp with 192 mph top speed this is much more in speed and less in hp what does that really tell u?<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shitmaniac</i>
    <b>The viper venom 800 runs about $167,000. It does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and blasts through the quarter mile in 9 seconds. But you have to give this car credit for it's appearance. It is just way overpriced.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --><!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

because it is bettr than the viper for these reasons

Looks better
    Not american
    Everyone wants a viper there for they are unoriginal
    And u like them u #%$

20. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

i want a car that can actually make a turn

21. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

stupid thread<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

I would get the Viper if it had a steering wheel.<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

How much money did dodge spend in even creating the viper? All the engeneering, the testing, the prototypes? Roll all that money into one package and thats why this car is so expensive.

When they make real race cars they only make a VERY VERY VERY few, and those very few much sell for a very lot so that the company doesn't come up with a loss in terms of price earned vs price spent. Its simple economics.

The reason why the viper is so cheap is because the market for it is much larger then a GT race car and the market ensures that they sell at least several hundred if not up to a thousand units per year which allows dodge to lower the price of them.

The Lotus might not be on the viper's ass on the drag strip, but when you actually enjoy a car your on a track or windy road going through those turns as fast as your sense of self preservation will allow. And the lotus is designed specifically for that.

24. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

ppl always post this "y get this while u can get a blah blah" comments, well if they realli r wondering y just go drive one and they can figure it out themselves<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: Why get this when you can get a Viper Venom 800

First off, having driving a Viper in high speeds, it has good handling. I heard the GT1 has a handling that is ballistic, but thats just what I heard. Truthfully, the Viper will beat this but by a very narrow finish, but the GT1 gets a lot of credit for amazing performance for only that much horsepower...