Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

Discussion in '2000 Lotus Elise 111S' started by LimeGreenElise, Aug 10, 2002.

1. i was thinking about it, and a rotary engine would be awesome in this.i know that lotus isnt going to put a rotary in it, but if you were to do it yourself, would it be possible?

2. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LimeGreenElise</i>
    <b>i was thinking about it, and a rotary engine would be awesome in this.i know that lotus isnt going to put a rotary in it, but if you were to do it yourself, would it be possible?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Is it possible, yes. Would it be cheap, no. Would it be easy, no. Could it destroy the handling, yes. The whole transaxle would have to be completly modified, which would mean the whole rear end would have to modified. Rotaries may not have alot of displacement, but they are not feather wieght, a chevy 5.7l v-8 is the same wieght as the twin turbo rotary from the current rx-7. Rotaries are very short though and are great if you race in inlet restrictor racing.

3. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

Forgive my ignorance, but would it be necessary to port the turbo over? A stock 750cc would be sufficient in this car?<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

if u put a rotary engine in this it would only be for 1/4 mile racing no track racing caus u would loss handling and the light weight. but it would kill al other cars.

5. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

Why would you want to change the engine. If you want to go faster in this car track day leasons are the answer.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

Thanks for the info EliseS2

7. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

I thought that rotary engines were very light. Am I wrong?<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

ide always thaught they were really light too....:/

9. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

They are light compered to most dohc motors, but the pushrod v-8 with aluminum heads is an extremely light engine. A rotatry is probably lighter than any dohc engine of the same power (probably). They are compact though.

10. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

They are light compered to most dohc motors, but the pushrod v-8 with aluminum heads is an extremely light engine. A rotatry is probably lighter than any dohc engine of the same power (probably). They are compact though.

11. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

Rotary enginges are very light. Lighter than any V-8

12. Re: Would it be possible to put a twin rotary engine in this?

what technically would mess up the handling? ide always thaught that the suspension and the tires and all of that stuff really cause good or bad handling. so how exactly does getting a new engine change the handling? is it just because the wieght is balanced a little diferently?