Osceola Coupe was somewhat of a brass era prototype in that it’s Coupe bodystyle was conceptual for the period. It was built in 1905 at the request of Henry M. Leland to study possible production of the closed Cadillac. He named it after a Seminole Indian chief.
Fred J Fisher was responsible for the cars design which was taller than it was long. It was powered by a single cylinder with chain drive a through a two-speed transmission to the rear wheels. With 10 bhp a top speed of 40 mph was possible.
Driving was handled by tilt steering wheel which acted on a rack & pinion gear.
Five year after the Osceola was made Cadillac put closed bodied into production in 1910.
The car was kept in the Leyland family and was the lst car driven by Leyland until it was put on permanent collection in the GM Heritage Collection.