In 1923, Officine Meccaniche started production of the Tipo 665 or Superba with side-valve, 6-cylinder engine. This model became one of Italy’s foremost sports cars and as a result they were sold all over Europe.
The car was based off the four-cylinder OM 469 of 1922, but featured a new side-valve, 6-cylinder enigine. The car was offered as a 2800mm wheelbase S version or longer 3100mm N version. Initially the car was offered with a 1991 cc unit which was upgraded to 2200 cc late in production.
L.C. Rawlence and Co. Ltd of 39 Sackville Street, London imported about 350 O.M.s of all types. Many of these were used on the Brooklands circuits while other were outfitted with Touring coachwork for everyday use.
Italy’s best known sports cars after winning the 1927 Mille Miglia outright. Later cars were named the MM model in tribute to this victory. Other notable victories included the 1925 Tripoli Grand Prix and near-podium finishes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
By 1928, OM offered a supercharged variant of the 665 known as the SS. This ensured a rather long production stretch up until 1932.