With the Pégase’s introduction in 1935, Amilcar extended their range to include several striking bodies by artist Geo Ham. Among the 12 coupes and cabriolets that were available, the Racer model featured a roadster body and upgraded chassis.
Unlike other racing Amilcars of the period, the Racer featured a streamlined body that was designed by Geo Ham and fabricated by Giuseppe Figoni. Its sweeping curves made it elegant enough to join the best streamlined cars of the era at the prestigious Concours d’Elegance shows.
Further enhancing the performance pedigree of the Racer was a specially-built G36 engine designed by engineer Grillot. It displaced 2.5 liters by using a new cylinder block. Furthermore, larger valves were fitted as was a high-pressure lubrication system. This produced 25 more horsepower than the standard N7 model.
The Pégase’s chassis was a copy of the Delahaye Type 146’s U-section pressed-steel frame. Along with the 10,000 franc G36 engine upgrade, Amilcar replaced the cable-operated Bendix brakes with hydraulic versions and fitted upgraded shock absorbers.
Announced at the 1935 Paris Salon, the Racer was effectively canceled the following year when Amilcar only officially offered four different body styles on the Pégase chassis. It is unknown how many Figoni Racers were produced. In 1937 an actual competition version of the Pégase was made, but looked decidedly different than the Racer of 1935.
Sources and Further Reading
1.Fournier, Gilles. Amilcar, Dalton Watson Fine Books: 2006.
This Amilcar was acquired some 20 years ago from the estate of enthusiast Paul Myers, through Robert Cole. It is believed to have been constructed at least two decades ago, combining sporty equipment from various eras in one beautiful machine. The four-cylinder engine is from a Talbot-Lago T-14LS, and the four-speed transmission is believed to have been sourced from an Alfa. The modified chassis incorporates original 1930s components, and it is equipped with modern hydraulic brakes for superb stopping power.