Black Friday Deal: Become a Member for 50% - Join for just $19.50/year!
1949 Jaguar Mark V

1949 Jaguar Mark V

1949→1951 Jaguar Mark V

In 1948 Jaguar revealed the Mark V with an all-new chassis that the company claimed was the most rigid in the industry. Along with it came hydraulic Girling brakes, torsion-bar suspension and Burman recirculating-ball steering.

Jaguar retained the 2½-liter and 3½-liter engines from the Mark IV.

The Mark V was offered as a four-door saloon and two-door Drophead Coupe.

In Detail

type Series Production Car
production years 1949 – 1951
built at England
predeccesor 1945 Jaguar Mark IV
engine Inline-6
position Front, Longitudinal
aspiration Natural
displacement 3485 cc / 212.67 in³
power 93.2 kw / 125 bhp
specific output 35.87 bhp per litre
transmission 4-Speed Manual

Auction Sales History

1949 Jaguar Mark V

1951 Jaguar Mk V Drophead Coupe S647465 – sold for $94,600 Historically Signifcant Postwar Jaguar Model. Impressive Presentation Throughout. Preferred 3.5-Litre Engine Specifcation. Beautiful Lines and Richly Appointed Interior. Offered with JDHT Certifcate. Auction Source: The 2015 Amelia Island Auction by Gooding & Company

1949 Jaguar Mark V

1951 Jaguar Mark V 3½-Litre Drophead Coupe 647365 – sold for $63,250 Offered from the estate of Harold Allsop. The most desirable Mark V variant. Matching numbers, with original tools. Owned by an enthusiast for 54 years. Carefully restored to drive and enjoy. Auction Source: 2014 Motor City Auction by RM

1949 Jaguar Mark V

1950 Jaguar Mark V 3.5 Drophead Coupe – sold for $88,000 Left-hand drive chassis 674145 was purchased in Paris, reportedly by American diplomat David Scott, who was in France working on the Marshall Plan. Original documents with the car include correspondence with Jaguar’s Sir William Lyons himself, beginning an excellent trail of documentation leading to the present day. The original owner eventually donated it to a museum, where it remained for many years, but during that time, its condition suffered; fortunately, the third and present owner commissioned a complete restoration upon acquisition. It was subsequently further refreshed in the spring of 2013. A complete, desirable tool kit is present. Auction Source: 2013 St. John’s Auction