1966→1970 Jaguar 420G
Jaguar updated their top-of-the-line Mark X in 1966 by releasing the 420G. From the exterior, the only distinguishing difference between the cars was a new chrome strip that ran down the side of the car. Both cars were meant for the full-size, luxury segment and aimed at the American market.
Jaguar was determined to fit the 420G with all the latest opulence. Inside was the one of the last fully wooden dashboards with an abundance of instrumentation and switchgear. To aid with the huge steel doors, helical torsion springs were installed.
The 420G sold alongside the similar Mark X for five years. Some cars omitted the signature chrome strip for two tone paint. Furthermore, several were sold with a longer wheelbase and full-width bench seat up front.
|type||Series Production Car|
|production years||1966 – 1970|
|built at||Coventry, England|
|block material||Cast Iron|
|valvetrain||DOHC, 2 Valves per Cyl|
|displacement||4235 cc / 258.44 in³|
|body / frame||Steel body over Steel Frame|
|curb weight||1907 kg / 4200 lbs|
|wheelbase||3048.0 mm / 120 in|
|length||5130.8 mm / 202 in|
|width||1938.0 mm / 76.3 in|
|height||1384.3 mm / 54.5 in|
Auction Sales History
1966 Jaguar ‘FT’ Coupé A1F 25417 – sold for €88,550 In 1966, the Italian Jaguar importer Ferruchio Tarchini commissioned Carrozzeria Bertone to build a four-seater coupé based on the Jaguar S-Type saloon, which was displayed on their stand during the 1966 Geneva Motor Show. Initially it was planned to distribute this limited edition model through the Jaguar sales organisation in Italy and abroad, but in the end production was limited to just the show car and the one offered here. It was called the Jaguar ‘FT’, after the initials of Ferruchio Tarchini. The Geneva show car is still the property of the Tarchini family. Auction Source: The Paris Sale 2012 by Bonhams