1955 Austin-Healey 100S
In 1955 the Donald Healey Motor Co. decided to build a competition version of the 100 known as the 100S. These came after a series of Special Test Cars that experimented with the final design which finally appeared at the 1955 Sebring 12 Hours.
Changes from the standard model included a new Weslake alloy cylinder head with larger valves, a high-lift camshaft, nitride-hardened steel crankshaft and forged-steel connecting rods which helped the model achieve 132 bhp.
The 100S was also one of the first cars to be equipped with the Dunlop disc brakes.
Additional features included a 20-gallon fuel tank, a stonger chassis and Lucas Le Mans 24 Hour headlights.
Externally the 100S was distinguished by its smaller front grill, external fuel filler, louvered hood and perspex front window.
On track the Healey achieved some remarkable results. Stirling Moss and Lance Macklin placed 6th at the 1955 Sebring 12-Hours which was the model's debuting race. Later the car would appear at all the famous races including the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans, 1955 Carrera Panamericana, 1955 Nassau Speed Weeks and Mille Miglia.
Feature Car AHS3804
Our feature car is a very special Healey that began life as a works competition test car known as SPL224B. In its original configuration it raced the 1953 Mille Miglia, 1953 24 Hours of Le Mans, 1953 Goodwood 9 Hours, 1954 Mille Miglia, 1954 Sebring 12 Hours, 1954 Tour de France and 1954 Alpine rally.
In late 1954, the car was converted with 100S bodywork and acquired the license OON440 from the Carrera Panamercana car. Painted red it raced in the 1955 Mille Miglia as number 700. After the race it was shipped to Ed Bussey who was the car's intended owner. He raced it twice more at the 1956 and 1957 Sebring races as well as a few SCCA races.
By 1961 it was acquired by Bobby Berger of Dallas, Texas who carefully had it stored for 39 years. The result is that the famous Mille Miglia 100S was remarkably preserved. Within the chips of paint there are three coats of red which reveal works Healey green as the original top coat.
Chassis & Sales
1955 Austin-Healey 100S AHS3707 - sold for $632,500
The 100S presented here, AHS 3707, was among a select group that was originally delivered to the West Coast of the US, a hotbed of sports car racing during the 1950s. Finished in the classic white over Lobelia Blue livery, this factory-built racer was originally shipped on April 21, 1955, to Gough Industries in Los Angeles. According to various sources, Gough Industries ordered seven 100S models in total, with six delivered in sequence, 3707–3... more
Gallery: 2011 Amelia Island Auction by Gooding & Company