1924 Alfa Romeo P2
The first car designed by Vittorio Jano in 1924, the P2 is also the first Alfa Romeo with an 8-cylinder supercharged engine and 2 carburetors placed after the compressor. Prepared in secret in the Portello workshops, the P2 makes a surprise debut at the 200-mile race at the 2nd Circuit of Cremona in 1924, winning the race with an incredible average speed of over 158 Km/hr and completing the 10 km speed trial at an average of 195 Km/hr.
Its participation in the international Grand Prix of 1924 and 1925 leads to the first World Championship title, which led to the addition of the laurel wreath design to the logo. Considered one of the best Grand Prix cars of the twenties, the P2 helps to lay the foundations for the Alfa Romeo legend. Of the six models built (with cut off and long rears) only two remain, and can be found today in the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, while a version from 1930 is on display at the Automobile Museum in Turin.
Story by Alfa Romeo