1937 Aston Martin 15/98
Above Images ©ASA Infinity Studios Courtesy of RM Auctions
The 15/98 was Aston Martin's standard model from 1936 onward. It was built in both short chassis and LWB form. Both models were named after their RAC power rating of 15 and an actual output of 98 bhp.
Initially launched as a four-seat tourer Aston Martin's prepared a shorter 15/98 short chassis to spur on sales. Some were fitted with occasional back seats and others were strictly 2-seat roadsters.
The car retained Aston's 2-litre engine which was capable of nearly 100 bhp. This was the same unit developed for the 1936 Le Mans team cars, but converted to wet-sump lubrication.
Most of the roadsters were bodied by Abbey Coachworks in London while the sedans and coupes were handled by E. Bertelli Ltd. In either configuration the complete car was £575 and £475 in 1938 to sell unsold examples.
Our feature car, chassis J7/823/SO, is a two-seat roadster and one of the finest examples of the model. It was restored and used by the same family for over 40 years with a replica engine to preserve the original.
Story by Supercars.net
Chassis & Sales
,1937 Aston Martin 2 litre 15/98 Speed Model Four Seat Tourer H8/791/LT - sold for $51,480
The Aston Martin Heritage Trust through Piers Loxton-Edwards have kindly provided copies of the early factory records for this car which confirm it to have been fitted with the Standard Touring bodywork that it still wears today and this was finished in black and trimmed in green upholstery. Their ownership records state it to have been sold to G.E. Layte & Co. Ltd. and then through Masons Garage on London's Maddox Street, W1. A new owner, Mrs... more
Gallery: 2010 Greenwich Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia Auction by Bonhams
1937 Aston Martin 15/98 Roadster J7/823/SO - did not sell for €97,070
This example, J7/823/SO, was built and registered in 1937 but delivered in 1938. Documented ownership history in the logbook dates to 1951, when it was acquired by a Mr. Cossins of Messingham from a Mr. R. Gray of Doncaster. However, the current owner has researched the car’s earlier history through Rob Davis of Elwell Smith & Co. The first owner was Mr. P.B. Mayne, followed by RAF Pilot Officer G.F. Sleight. On 25th March 1945, A.C.H. Walke... more
Gallery: 2011 Salon Privé Auction by RM
1938 Aston Martin 15/98 Open Sports Tourer B8/813/SO - sold for €127,600
This short-chassis car was first registered on 1 February, 1938. Although the original purchaser is not known, it is thought to be a Mrs. Higgins, for whom the car was entered in the Royal Scottish Automobile Club Scottish Rally in 1939. This is noted in the Aston Martin Owner’s Club listings for 1992. Following WWII, the car lead a secluded life in the possession of Ernest Stanley Rippley of Curzon, St. London, who purchased the car in Februa... more
Gallery: 2011 London Auction by RM
1939 Aston Martin 15/98 'Speed Model' F8/769/LS ‘DTC2’ - sold for €163,000
Originally a 15/98 long chassis saloon, this particular car has been shortened and is currently fitted with 'Ulster' type two-seat bodywork. The chassis and mechanical components were discovered in a barn in Wales where a number of Astons had been stored for more than 20 years. All the components were painstakingly restored and the engine sent to marque specialists Ecurie Bertelli for a complete rebuild to 'Speed Model' specification complete ... more
Gallery: 2012 Goodwood Revival Sale by Bonhams