In January of 1904 Cadillac offered the Model B and at the time they were producing more cars than any other manufacturer in the country. Like the Model A, it used a single-cylinder engine that sat under the driver’s seat, but it was easily identified by its updated front end which repositioned the radiator down low.
The Model B introduced a new pressed steel frame with axles. The front was suspended by twin half-elliptic units. Like the Model A this car was largely the product of Henry Martyn Leland from Leland and Faulconer. They produced the single-cylinder engine, transmissions, and steering gears for Cadillac.
Model B chassis and bodies were all produced in house at Cadillac. The car was held together by a steel frame that was suspended on leaf springs and rigid axles. The engine sat under the driver’s seat and sent power to the rear wheels through a 2-speed transmission and Brown-Lipe differential. Braking was handled only on the rear wheels by applying friction to the half-shafts.
Leland & Faulconer produced the engine which was called the “Little Hercules.” The valvetrain was fully actuated and acceleration controlled by sliding cam on the intake valve. With a square bore and stroke of 5 inches, 8.5 horsepower was the advertised rate.
The Model B was sold as a Runabout, Touring, Surrey or Delivery bodies and remained almost identical for 1905 production.