A completely new car was built for the French Grand Prix and finally replaced the old 1903 design which had been the basis for a whole generation of racing cars. The most remarkable features of the new car were its tapered chassis and V-shaped radiator. This car was equipped with the aircraft engine DF 80, which was awarded the Reichskanzler prize in the 1913 Kaiserpreis competition. Lautenschlager and Salzer, in the centre of the team photo from left to right, came 4th and 6th in a car of this type. A third car, driven by Pilette, was powered by the aircraft engine G 4F. The fourth car, driven by Elskamp, was fitted with the 37/90 hp production engine and a flat radiator.