1921 Bugatti Type 28 Torpedo Concept
In 1921 the first Bugatti-designed, 8-cylinder went on display at the Paris Motor Show as the Type 28. Bugatti played a major role in the movement towards straight-eight powerplants. From 1913 on, Bugatti developed experimental eight-cylinder engines for both roadcars and aeroplanes.
The engine itself was made up of two four-cylinder blocks sharing the same crankcase. This setup was used right up to the Type 50 and Type 57 Bugattis.
Sadly, the Type 28 never made it beyond the prototype phase. But, it offered many orginal design features that carried onto later models including the Type 30.
Having an abundance of power, Bugatti added brakes on all four corners. This must be one of the first instances brakes were added to all the wheels of a Bugatti.
The two-spoke steering wheel featured an adjustable length mechanism. Additionally, throttle and carburator adjustments could be made by controls featured just beyond the wheel. Such adjustments were later used on the Type 41 Royale. Another feature also adopted for the Royales was the use of a rear mounted gearbox.
|valvetrain||3 Valves per Cyl|
|displacement||2995 cc / 182.8 in³|
|bore||69 mm / 2.72 in|
|stroke||100 mm / 3.94 in|
|power||67.1 kw / 90 bhp @ 3400 rpm|
|specific output||30.05 bhp per litre|
|body / frame||Light Pressed Steel w/Hardwood Filling|
|f brake size||mm / in|
|r brake size||mm / in|
|f suspension||Solid Axle w/Half-Elliptic Leaf Springs|
|r suspension||Rigid Axle w/Reversed Quarter-Elliptic Leaf Springs|
|wheelbase||2600 mm / 102.4 in|
|transmission||Rear Mounted 2-Speed Manual|
|top speed||~130.4 kph / 81.0 mph|