In 1929 Pierce-Arrow was purchased outright by the Studebaker Corporation who sent their models in a healthy new direction. Abandoned was the 6-cylinder of year’s previous, and instead an entirely new 8-cylinder was fitted.
Along with the new engine, a range of lower and longer bodies were offered. 12 different bodies were offered on the 133-wheelbase Model 133 (sometimes called Model 125) and 7 were different bodies offered on the longer 143-wheelbase Model 143.
Unlike the earlier detachable-head design, the new 8-cylinder was an integral unit, having 9-main bearings and an L-Head valvetrain arrangement.