The ‘Grand Mercedes’ – model 770 – was launched at the Paris Motor Show in October 1930. A representative car designed to meet the most exacting demands, the 770 featured an eight-cylinder inline engine with a displacement of 7.7 liters, available either without supercharger (150 hp) or with supercharger (150 hp/200 hp). Incidentally, only thirteen buyers decided against the supercharger.
Only a small number of 770s were built at the Mercedes-Benz-Werk in Untertürkheim. The W07 platform 770 was produced from 1930 through to 1938 to a total of 117 cars while the wartime W150 carried the production into 1943 and added 88 additional units.