Panhard et Levassor played a huge role in the early development of the automobile. As early as 1895 they sold a carriage with an internal combustion engine in the front driving the rear wheels.
The X49 was a powerful car, and one that was direct competition to the Bugatti Type 46 and Hispano-Suiza H6B. It was produced from 1924 to 1928 with a four cylinder-sleeve-valve engine. Instead of focusing on large displacement engines, Panhard et Levassor used this smaller 4845cc engine with lightweight engineering.
This particular car could reach speeds up to 100 mph thanks to the abundance of power and lightweight construction. Very few French cars keep up with the X49 in its day.
Only 242 cars were made and 75 were made for export out of France.