Packard served as one of the premier luxury automobile manufacturers of the 20’s and 30’s. During this period Packard out-sold and dueled with Cadillac for the top American product. In fact, Packard was the first company to to put a V12 into a production car which later motivated Ferrari to do the same.
Packard used simple construction techniques on its production line. Until 1934 every model had drum brakes and solid axles. Emphasis during design was placed on ease of driving coupled with a smooth-running engine. Some can be setup such that a nickel can balance on the cylinder head while the engine is running.
With some 35 000 Twelves produced, the model support a wide range of various bodies. One of the best was the 1106 Lebaron Speedster which is probably the most sought after model. Other cars by Dietrich and Bohman & Schwartz were particularly successful.
Chassis 11392020 was delivered new by Thompson Motor Co., Ltd. in Beverly Hills, California in June of 1938. It has resided with its current owner since its acquisition from Seattle in 2002. At the time of the purchase, the Twelve was a solid, mostly original car with a new top. The owner commissioned a shop in Pennsylvania to perform a cosmetic restoration which included a full repaint and installation of fresh upholstery. The fenders and hood were removed and all pieces stripped to bare metal. Luckily the integrity of the venerable Packard had been preserved, and no body rot was found. Finished in Chinese Red, the exterior is complemented by the reupholstered Red leather interior and rumble seat and newer Tan cloth top. The dash and gauges have been very well looked after and are extremely presentable. In addition to the exterior work, the engine bay and underside were very respectfully detailed.
This beautifully restored 1937 Packard Twelve Model 1507 Convertible Coupe was most recently shown at the 2009 Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance. Past owners include the well-known San Francisco-area collector Bev Ferreira, in whose ownership the car was the cover and centerfold of the Fall 1974 edition of the Cormorant.
Restored by Scottsdale specialist Barry Briskman, this Brunn All Weather Cabriolet is the collapsible style. Believed to be one of four built, it was purchased by the previous owner from Mr. Briskman in 2007. The current owner has maintained the car properly and has driven it sparingly. This beautiful 1939 Packard has received Premier honors from the Classic Car Club of America, signifying it has achieved Senior status, number 2610, and won a further first prize in the Premier division. It also won Third in Class at the 2004 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and the First Place, Mayor’s Cup and Best Packard awards at Ault Park.
Finished in black with subtle red pinstriping, the LeBaron Town Car has an imposing presence and is fully outfitted with dual side-mounted spares, Trippe driving lights, wide whitewall tires and a correct Packard traveling trunk. The passenger compartment in particular appears to be untouched and is beautifully appointed with vanities, a silk shade and wool upholstery. In addition, the engine bay is nicely detailed and is free from untoward signs of neglect.
This Dual Windshield Phaeton is said to be one of only three built for 1936, making it the rarest production model of the 14th series. This open Twelve represents a marvelous opportunity both for the enthusiast drawn to the original patina of the car that can be used, enjoyed and toured in as is, or for a collector looking for a car to finish in the colors of his choice. Either way, this top-of-the-line Packard is sure to delight its next owner with all of the quality and exclusivity for which the marque is revered.
1936 marked the final offering of the stately dual cowl phaeton body style and, in fact, only five were built on the large, model 1407 12-cylinder chassis. This was also the final year for the 17” wire wheels, dual-blade bumpers and solid axle suspension indicating the end of the Classic Era. This one-of-a-kind Dual Cowl Phaeton has the distinction of having been originally ordered by the Japanese Consulate in Canada where it served as a noble form of official transport most likely until the outbreak of the war in 1941.
he French importer Barbezat originally delivered this Series 1208 Convertible Sedan in Paris during November 1935. While little is known of its subsequent history, the car eventually received a very high quality restoration with the V12 engine rebuilt at great cost by a marque expert. California-based collector Art Astor later acquired the car, and under his ownership, it appeared in the Circle of Champions at the 2005 Packards International Southern California Region meet.
Professionally restored some 15 years ago by Jocko’s Restorations for well-known Detroit area collector Bill Chorkey, this 1934 Packard Twelve coupe remains in concours condition today. (Later owners included noted Packard collector Dave Kane and Charles Morgan.) The blue paint has no visible flaws, and all the brightwork is in good condition. The belt line has attractive gold pinstriping, and there are twin side-mount spares with correct metal covers. Unusually for a car without a rumble seat, the rear window cranks down.
This impressive 1938 Packard Twelve Convertible Sedan was sold new by California Packard dealer Earl C. Anthony Inc. in August of 1938. The car is reported to have once formed part of the famed Harrah Collection before passing through several individuals and then finally joining a noted private collection in 2004. In 1996, it received an extensive, body-off-frame restoration to show quality standards by George Fore of Fore’s Restoration. Immediately thereafter, the car was extensively shown, going on to earn an impressive string of awards.
This example is a Model 1708, five-passenger convertible sedan. It has been given a comprehensive restoration and finished in the correct and Idium Grey metallic paint with a black Haartz cloth convertible top that features blind rear quarters for rear-seat occupants’ privacy. The upholstery is finished in red leather with contrasting burl walnut dashboard. There are five uniformly round gauges on the inset panel and matching wood door accents. There is a steering column shift, an unusual feature among the larger displacement Full Classics, a modern amenity that provided additional front compartment floor space. There is a roll-up divider window behind the driver’s seat that is surrounded by walnut trim. Mounted to the rear of the front-seat cowling is a rear-seat leather-wrapped lap robe rope with matching grab-straps at either end. Also, there is a correct Packard accessory heather that provides warmth to both driver and passengers. Auction Source: Gooding & Company 2010 Amelia Island Auction
This wonderful example was meticulously restored to AACA First Prize-winning standards over 20 years ago. It was then driven and enjoyed for several years before its retirement and careful long-term maintenance within a highly respected private collection. More recently, it has benefited from a complete cosmetic and mechanical freshening, highlighted by professional detailing and numerous mechanical improvements, resulting in the perfect classic touring car.
This Brunn Collapsible Touring Cabriolet carries body number 1, of the handful built for 1939. A largely original car, it has been selectively freshened in several areas. Sold new by Earle C. Anthony, the legendary Los Angeles distributor, its first owner is believed to have been British-born bandleader and composer Ray Noble. Noble, known for his songs “Love is the Sweetest Thing” and “The Very Thought of You,” came to the United States in 1934. His orchestra had a good run at New York’s Rainbow Room. By 1937, Noble had moved into film work, first as conductor and scorer, then as a comedic actor, playing the stereotypical “silly Englishman.” This car is a memento from his Hollywood period.
Restored by Scottsdale specialist Barry Briskman, this Brunn All Weather Cabriolet is the collapsible style. Believed to be one of four built, it was purchased by the current owner from Mr. Briskman in 2007. It has received Premier honors from the Classic Car Club of America, signifying it has achieved Senior status, number 2610, and won a further first prize in the Premier division. It also won Third in Class at the 2004 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
The striking Packard offered here is one of just 682 Twelves built by Packard in 1936. According to its original firewall data tag, it was delivered new by the noted California Packard dealer, Earle C. Anthony. Although the early ownership history is not known, by the late 1980s the car was in the hands of Gerry Mariani, a well-known Canadian Packard enthusiast. Later it was sold via RM Classic Cars to Lloyd Needham, a highly respected London, Ontario collector. Several years later, the vendor acquired the car.
This stunning example was the subject of a painstaking, three-year restoration effort, beginning with a straight, rust-free and completely original car. The restoration was completed in 1995 by respected classic car restorer Jocko’s, of Dearborn, Michigan, and it is reported that over $250,000 was spent to ensure that this Formal Sedan is one of the finest examples in existence. In addition, every part and component was either fully restored or replaced as required.
Discovered in a shed in Lovelock, Nevada, several decades ago, this Series 1608 Touring Cabriolet was purchased by the vendor’s father, then stored for more than 25 years. The landaulet style has a folding top over the rear of the passenger compartment and fixed roof over the chauffeur. A hallmark of the Touring Cabriolet was the pair of small clerestory windows above the windshield. The car is complete, but very disheveled and will require a complete restoration.
Delivered on May 20, 1937 by the Chicago Packard agency, this Series 1508 Convertible Sedan has been in storage for 53 years, since acquisition by the vendor’s father. It is 95-97 percent complete, but will require complete restoration.