1934→1935 Delage D8-105
In 1934 Delage launched a couple variants of the D8 including the flagship D8-105. It used a 3,570cc inline-8 engine designed by Arthur-Léon Michelat.
The D8-105 was offered in Sport and Légère (Light) versions. Both came with the twin-plug, high-compression engine and were offered at 68,000 Francs and 75,000 Francs respectively.
For the D8-105, Delage commissioned Letourneur et Marchand to design a new coupe body which was illustrated in the 1934/1935 Delage catalogue. Four cars were made up to this design and one achieved 152 kph at Montlhéry.
In April of 1935, Delage was bought outright by Delahaye and the model range was updated to reflect Delahaye designs with Delage engines and hydraulics.
See full 1935 Delage D8-105 Gallery here
|type||Series Production Car|
|production years||1934 – 1935|
|released at||1934 Paris Motor Show|
|valvetrain||OHV, 2 Valves per Cyl|
|fuel feed||Dual Choke Stromberg Carbuetor|
|displacement||3570 cc / 217.85 in³|
|bore||79.3 mm / 3.1 in|
|stroke||90.5 mm / 3.6 in|
|engine designer||Arthur-Léon Michelat|
|power||78.3 kw / 105 bhp @ 4500 rpm|
|specific output||29.41 bhp per litre|
|body / frame||Body over Steel Chassis|
|f suspension||Double Wishbones Wishbones w/Transverse Leaf Spring|
|r suspension||Live Axle w/Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs, Friction Dampers|
|wheelbase||3340 mm / 131.5 in|
|front track||1400 mm / 55.1 in|
|rear track||1350 mm / 53.1 in|
|transmission||Cotal 4-Speed Preselector|
|top speed||~152 kph / 94.39 mph|
Auction Sales History
1935 Delage D8-105 Sport Autobineau Coupé 40123 – sold for €322,000
Of the eight D8-105 chassis completed (all with the ‘S’ engine) Autobineau bodied four: two on the ‘S’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive) and two on the ‘L’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive). The car offered here – right-hand drive chassis number ‘40123’ – is the only known survivor of these four. Two of the other D8-105 chassis were bodied by Letourneur et Marchand as convertibles: one for a private customer and the other for the factory, to be displayed at the 1935 Barcelona Motor Show.
In 1986 the Delage was acquired by a Mr. Picaud and during his ownership was restored (in 1988). Documents on file record a further five owners prior to the current vendor, who acquired the car in April 2010 and showed it at the Villa d’Este Concours d’Elégance in 2011, receiving a mention of honour in class. Representing the last gallant flourish of the original Delage company, this unique and supremely stylish Grand Routier comes with its original tools/jack and a quantity of spare parts. Accompanying documentation consists of full ownership history, instruction manuals, factory drawings, copies of various old titles, numerous period photos, FIVA certificate, current Greek historic registration papers and many books featuring the car.
Auction Source: The Paris Sale 2012 by Bonhams