In 1934 Packard offered three distinct chassis for the 11th series Packard Twelve of which the 1107 was the between the short 1106 and longer 1108.
Like all of the 11th series Packard’s, the Model 1108 featured the smooth-running V12 engine which produced a capable 160 bhp.
For the 1934 range Packard redesigned the fenders which are characterized by extending to the front bumper. Inside Packard also had a redesigned dashboard that could accommodate the optional factory radio.
Some consider the 11th series the last of the classic Packards since it was the last year to have slender windshield posts and chrome front headlights.
Sources & Further Reading.
1. Kimes, Beverley Rae. Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company. Princeton Publishing Inc: 1978.
1107 Coupe Roadster 73933 – sold for $465,000 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Best in Class winner. Believed to have covered less than 40,000 original miles. Superb restoration by Stone Barn. Fastidiously maintained, recently freshened. Top AACA and CCCA prizes earned. Auction Source: 2013 Quail Lodge Auction by Bonhams
1934 Packard 1107 Twelve – did not sell for $180,000 Frame-off restoration. 1 of only 788 Twelves produced for 1934 in all body styles. 446/160 HP Packard 12 engine. Chrome wire wheels with new wide whitewall tires. Dual side mounts with covers. Packard Cormorant radiator mascot. Radiator stone guard. Full open air motoring with the comfort and convenience of roll up windows and full top. Delivered new on October 11, 1933. Top of the line Packard for 1934. Auction Source: 2012 Daytime Auction by Mecum
This Twelve was restored during the early 2000s to concours-level standards, resulting in the achievement of AACA National First Prize honors in 2004 and a CCCA Senior First Prize ( CCCA badge number 1514). After nearly 10 years, while the restoration has aged slightly from use, the car nevertheless presents very well. The red and grey exterior finish, brightwork and tan folding top are all still very attractive. A comprehensive list of period accessories enhances its dashing bodylines, including a pair of Trippe driving lights, dual chrome-plated horns, dual cowl lights, dual side-mounted spares with Packard-scripted chrome mirrors, wind wings and a rear luggage rack and trunk. A spot-lamp is at the driver’s disposal as well. Inside, the tan leather upholstery remains very presentable, notwithstanding some evidence of age and use. The dash, with Packard’s beautiful and comprehensively equipped instrument panel, is superb.
The example offered here has benefited from a thorough and correct restoration and remains in extraordinary condition throughout. It was acquired by Mr. O’Quinn in 2007 and since that time has remained in climate-controlled storage. Finished with an attractive cream-colored body accented by a beige belt molding, the exterior of the car is further accented by the use of orange wheels and a matching pinstripe. The interior of the car is equally impressive, with dark tan leather throughout and accented with luxurious wood trimmings. Cosmetically, the car presents very nicely. Well equipped, this impressive Packard is fitted with desirable period options including dual side-mounts and a rear-mounted trunk.
Like most classics of the era, the car’s early history is not known. However, by the 1960s, the car was in the hands of Woodrow Portz as documented by Ed Blend in his book The Magnificent Packard Twelve of 1934. Portz owned the car until the late 1970s or early 1980s when he sold it to a St. Louis area collector who stored the car in Fred Weber’s nearby shop. The next owner was Pete Davis of Dearborn, Michigan, who bought the car in 1990 after sending Jocko (Larry McNeil) to inspect the car for him. Davis never did start the restoration but kept the car for about a year before selling it to Detroit area physician Dr. Larry Morawa, who did commission Jocko to begin the restoration. About a year later in 1993, Bill Chorkey persuaded Morawa to part with the car, still under restoration. Chorkey commissioned the completion of the restoration, which was finished in mid 1994.