Whereas the design of the DSH made it a relative of the cars of the previous years, with the SW 35 model (1935) Maybach inaugurated a new era in the short history of this car brand. The swing axle (SW) car with independent wheel suspension was powered by the newly developed HL 35 3.5-litre six-cylinder engine, which delivered 140 hp
(104 kW) at 4500 rpm.
The SW 38, launched in 1936 and built until 1939, offered the same advanced suspension concept. Maybach claimed an output of 140 hp (104 kW) for its HL 38 engine, which now had a displacement of 3.8 litres. But the six-cylinder could also burn fuel of lesser quality without compromising performance.
Finally, from 1940 to 1941 Maybach manufactured the swing-axle SW 42 model. This featured a 140-hp six-cylinder engine, whose displacement meanwhile had increased to 4.2 litres. Among the 900 or so vehicles of the SW family, with their bodies made by different coachbuilders, two SW 42 cars stand out: after the Second World War these imposing one-offs were furnished with modern three-box bodies and served as company cars for the top management of Maybach-Motorenbau GmbH.