In 1936 MG replaced their PB model with the larger TA Midget.It was both wider and longer than the outgoing model and used a modified version of the Morris 10 but engine with twin SU carburettors.
Chassis and engines were mated at the Abingdon factory and. once completed, were shipped to Newport Pagnell for coachwork.
The TA was the first MG to have hydraulic brakes.
One particularly great body was the three-position drophead coupe produced for the factory at Salmons & Sons Carriage Works also know as Tickford. Only 260 were equipped with this luxurious body out of a total production run of 3003 cars.
1938 MG TA Drophead Coupe by Tickford – sold for $115,500
The example offered here is certainly the finest one we’ve ever offered. MG expert Gene Roth spent seven years completing a ground-up restoration, which he finished in 1994. He restored the car to be period-correct down to the smallest detail, including the correct and complete tool set. All original and restorable mechanical and body components were retained to assure authenticity. Each component was rebuilt to as-new condition, except the engine block, which was replaced in England. The interior is done in walnut, leather, and with Wilton carpeting, as original, and the body is finished in black acrylic urethane enamel. The brightwork is a triple-plated chrome, which includes the wire wheels. Auction Source: 2015 Amelia Island by RM Sotheby’s