This Bugatti monoposto was designed to take on stiff german competition from Auto Union & Mercedes. The Type 50b engine was a further evolution of the type 50 powerplant. It was the final Bugatti race car of the 1930s was the Type 59 of 1934. It used an enlarged 3.3 L (3257 cc/198 in³) version of the straight-eight Type 57’s engine sitting in a modified Type 54 chassis.
The engine was lowered for a better center of gravity, and the frame was lightened with a number of holes drilled in the chassis. The signature piano wire wheels used splines between the brake drum and rim, and relied on the radial spokes to handle cornering loads. 250 hp (186 kW) was on tap, and eight were made.