As a replacement to the LG45, W.O. Bentley commissioned a new V12 for the Lagonda marque. It was a product of high grade materials such as Chromidium, Duralumin and aluminum to operate under any conditions.
Alan Good at Lagonda revised the chassis to include independent front suspension that let the V12 sit low in the chassis.
Compared to the previous Lagondas, the V12 was lower, longer and wider which made the car much more dramatic.
It didn’t take long before two special-bodied Lagondas were prepared for Le Mans that finished 3rd and 4th overall for the factory team.
Throughout the war, the V12 engine was used for the British Navy until the factory was leveled in 1944 by the Germans.
Restoration with Renoverad hos Rohdins Automobil Service in Sweden, which took some 6,000 hours to complete and was finished in 2008. Since completion, the car has been seldom used but continuously registered and stored in a purpose-built heated garage. Currently, the car presents in excellent overall condition, and it is offered today from its long-time owner’s proud family to a new caretaker. Auction Source: Villa Erba 2015 by RM Sothebys
W.O. Bentley’s engineering masterpiece. Only four owners from new, including the Doune Motor Museum. Original body, engine, and chassis. A veteran rally participant. Auction Source: 2014 Paris by RM Auctions
1939 Lagonda V12 Le Mans Team Car 14090 ‘HPL449’
British Lagonda enthusiast Peter Biggs later acquired the car in the 1980s, repatriated it from Canada and commissioned specialist John Foy to undertake restoration to original 1939 Le Mans form, complete with 4-carburettor V12 engine. We understand that the chassis, gearbox, fuel tank, rear axle and crank case (with the original RAC stamp clearly visible) are the originals. The Lagonda is currently fitted with a race prepared, period correct competition engine mated to a fully rebuilt radiator, at a cost of £50,000.