1939 Maserati 4CL Gallery
Enveloping this rather conservative chassis was a low, curvaceous alloy-panel body, built in-house by Maserati.
Maserati also built a streamlined version of the 4CL from the outset. Continued engine development, in response to Alfa Romeo‘s post-war introduction of two-stage supercharging, began to expose weaknesses in the chassis design.
In an attempt to improve torsional rigidity Maserati began to experiment with tubular section chassis members. These experimental models ran alongside conventional 4CLs throughout the 1947 season, and eventually led to the introduction of the 4CLT in 1948.
Read the full Maserati 4CL article