Chassis Number LML 50/16 was shipped to Australia in 1950 for its first owner, Tony Luxton of Victoria. With competition in mind, the car was fitted with ‘Alfìn’ brake drums by the factory as well as a close ratio floor-mounted gear change. Luxton used the car in several competitions, notably at Albert Park in the Argus Cup and the Rob-Roy hill climb. The car is finished in its original Aston Martin California Sage. Appears at Pebble Beach freshly restored by JD Classics who describe it as a DB2 ‘Washboard’.
Purchased New by Legendary Race Driver Phil Hill. Raced at Prominent West Coast Venues in Period. Known History from New. One Owner for over 50 Years. An Impressively Documented and Historic DB2.
This 1953 DB2 Coupé, chassis LML/50/393, was delivered new on 22nd May 1953 to Brooklands of Bond Street, London for Mr. I.S. Duffus, under whom it was registered “NUV 944.” It passed to Mr. Phillip Scofield, and during its first four years of existence, the car was maintained by the factory. In 1958, M.J.A. Hill acquired the DB2, and a photograph of the car dated 1958, during Mr. Hill’s tenure, is included in the historical file. In 1964, W.H. Ward of Moseley purchased the car from Queen’s Park Garage. Stored and unused from 1966 to 1985 when Mr. Keith Hampson acquired the car, a restoration over a 10-year period commenced shortly thereafter and ended in 1996.
The late-production, original right-hand drive 1953 DB2 Coupé offered here, chassis LML/50/213, is powered by its original matching-numbers engine, VB6B/50/1115. Finished in Peony Red, the car retains the original grey-piped burgundy seats, which display a lovely patina. Interestingly, the DB2 is fitted with a set of chrome-trimmed cooling ‘portholes’ on both sides of the bonnet, quite reminiscent of those used by Vignale in period on its own coachbuilt Ferrari bodies. The exterior paintwork is very presentable, and with the exception of some imperfections noted in the window trim, the chrome is excellent. The original trafficators are not presently connected, but a set of Lucas auxiliary rear directional signals is fitted to the car. A correct set of silver-painted 60-spoke wire wheels complements the classic lines of this very fine first-generation DB2. This car is complete with a copy of the original build sheet and works service history from new through August 1964. All in all, this is a wonderful Aston Martin, ideal not only for the marque purist but also the novice grand touring enthusiast in search of a sporting yet comfortable event car.
A very early-production car; the 15th DB2 sold new in the UK. First owned by Lord Brabazon. Painstakingly restored in early 1990s. A multiple concours winner and participant in the 1993 DB2 reunion.
Accompanying copy chassis cards record that ‘OZ 6412’ was supplied new via agents John Patterson Ltd to G C McCrea, Esq of Belfast, Northern Ireland, while the AMOC Register states that the car enjoyed single family ownership from new up to 1997. The car was acquired by the current owner over ten years ago, since when it has formed part of his large private collection of primarily Aston Martin motor cars. It had been the vendor’s intention to restore the car but, as can be seen from the photographs, there is still much left to do. A potentially most rewarding project for the Aston Martin enthusiast, ‘OZ 6412’ is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed.