Introduced in 1954, the Aceca was a fastback version of AC’s seminal Ace roadster. Built as an exclusive Grand Touring car, each Aceca featured new curved windshield and a hinged rear hatch.
Like the Ace, the Aceca had the same sporting independent suspension and lightweight aluminum body that made the car popular. Half way into production, the antiquated prewar AC engine was replaced by a Bristol unit having 120 bhp.
About 300 Acecas were completed before both it and the Ace were replaced by the potent AC Cobra.
Wood-Framed Aluminum Body over Steel Ladder-Type Frame
Independant w/Transverse Leaf Springs, Armstrong Tubular Damper
Independant w/Transverse Leaf Springs, Armstrong Tubular Dampers
957 kg / 2110 lbs
2286 mm / 90.0 in
1270 mm / 50.0 in
1270 mm / 50.0 in
3848 mm / 151.5 in
1511 mm / 59.5 in
1245 mm / 49.0 in
Auction Sales History
1960 AC Aceca Bristol BE771 – sold for €134,550 A right-hand drive model subsequently converted to left-hand drive, ‘BE771’ is one of only 169 original Bristol-engined Acecas built. Supplied by Harman Motor Services of Wolverhampton to L Gordon Flint Esq on 22 Jan 1960 this Acecas believed to have had four owners before being acquired by the Earl of Mexborough in 1987. Restored at that time it remained substantially unused in his collection until recently. Although the engine currently fitt… read more Auction Source: 2015 Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais
1959 AC Aceca Bristol Coupé BE762 – sold for €98,000 Owned by the current vendor since 2003 and used for European tours without bumpers by choice (the originals are included separately however), the Aceca benefits from adjustable Spax rear shock absorbers, a new water pump and an invoiced engine top-end overhaul carried out by the respected motor engineers at Blakeney Motorsport earlier this year. Described as in generally sound condition, with excellent engine, red paintwork generally good. Auction Source: 2012 Goodwood Revival Sale by Bonhams
1958 AC Aceca Bristol BEX709 – did not sell for €103,936 This 1958 AC Aceca offered here, chassis BEX 709, was originally delivered as an export specification car with 100 D2 Bristol engine, complete with high performance Weber carburettors. The car left the factory on 27 November, 1958 and was exported to the USA by Imperial Motors of Wilmette, Illinois, in off-white over a red leather interior. At some point in the intervening years, the car was converted to right-hand drive for the UK market.
in total costing over £40,000. Recently, the current owner has fitted an overdrive to the car, which is a desired accessory to these already very desirable Bristol engine Acecas.
The 1960 Aceca offered here, chassis BEX 739, is an original left-hand drive example, equipped with a Bristol six-cylinder engine in D2 high-performance tune and a set of Weber carburettors. Soon after acquisition by the current owner in 1998, the electrical system was re-wired in the UK by Neil Davis Racing (NDR). The well-known Bristol experts at California’s Phil Reilly & Company rebuilt the engine in the USA, and the gearbox was rebuilt in the UK during 2009 and fitted with overdrive. A great example with three separate Tour Autos and other competition outings to its credit, this Aceca is also complete with FSVA papers.
1957 AC Aceca AEX607 – sold for $110,000 This dashing Aceca is one of merely 49 examples constructed in 1957 and is also believed to be one of just 169 that were fitted with the model’s original AC engine. Its record of ownership picks up in October 1959 in the possession of a Florida resident. In April 1967, Arthur Lukach of Rockford, Illinois, purchased the car and subsequently sold it to Gary Sonnenshein. On January 2, 1979, this Aceca was acquired by Frank Jellinek, Jr. of Nor
Chassis number ‘RS5506’ is one of only six surviving Ford-powered Acecas. A matching numbers car, it is recorded as leaving the Thames Ditton factory on 14th August 1962 for delivery to Mr Fleming, who registered it as ‘9181 ML’ on the 17th of that month. Co-incidentally, that same year Ian Fleming completed ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’, the 10th of the 14 books in the James Bond series. The Aceca passed to a Dr Webster in 1963 and then to Brian Gell in 1967 with a registration change to ‘AC 4’. In 1973 the car went to a collector in Holland, Harry van Bakel, returning to the UK in 1987 and acquiring its current registration ‘6649 TU’.