1966 Bizzarrini 5300 Spyder (SI) Prototype (Convertible/Roadster) Serial #A3*245
Factory prototype of only 2- Production spyders, 2535 lbs Chevy 327/420 bhp 2-seater all aluminum roadster . This was one of the stars of the 1966 Geneva Motor show , 1966 Torino show , Featured in Auto Italiana , August 1966 issue Road & Track . Owned by Mr. Giotto Bizzarrini till 1969 than a collector from Pisa, Italy became the care taker from 1969 thru 1999. Was stores for 31 years with less then 2000 miles on the clock and still on the original tires. An American collector bought the spyder in 1999 and spent a 3-year restoration getting this spyder back to it original specifications. This Prototype spyder has an all alloy body formed by hand no molds. This 1966 prototype spyder was developed and built by Style Italia (SI) of Torino, Italy, In co-operation with Sibona e Basano, Under Mr. Bizzarrini supervision. Other unique features of this 1966 Bizzarrini 5300 spyder (SI) Prototype included retractable headlights, seats molded into the body and a multi function roof design which allowed the spyder to be a coupe, targa or a full convertible Roadster, chrome front grill . The only 2-spyders with a full race rear independent suspension and the optional light weight Side Draft magnesium manifold w/4-45 DCOE #9 Weber carburetors on a 327/420 bhp Chevy , Special Camshaft, Heads & port work, special high-carbon steel connecting rods and 2.88 rear end . Won Best in class and People choice at the 2007 Keels and Wheels Concours d’ Elegance in Houston, TX , 2008 Won a special design / finsih award at Meadow brook Concour d’ Elegance.
You can tell a pedigree of a car by the name badge it carries. The prototype and the 1st Red production Bizzarrini 5300 spyder S.I . serial# BA4*108 carries 4 badges (1) round Bizzarrini Badge on it nose and (1) well placed Bizzarrini script badge on it deck led . The 2nd two badges has to be considered some of the rarest from Style Italia (SI) from of Torino, Italy , Well placed just behind the side cooling vents on each side of the front clip just in front of the side doors. Both spyders the prototype and 1st production car had there own Catalog sheet from the factory. Present owner is Mark S Sassak of both spyders the 1966 Silver Prototype and 1st Red production Bizzarrini Spyder.
Giotto Bizzarrini car’s under his own badge could best be summed up as the closest thing to taking a race car and putting it on the street. His cars were offered at that time as the only production automobile in the world offering 20 Competition and Grand Touring features as standard equipment. It was a perfect marriage between combining American muscle and the reliability and durability in the small block Chevrolet corvette motor.
– 327 –350 & 365, 420 HP corvette motor with 11 to 1 compression
– Optional light weight magnesium side -draft manifold w/45-dcoe Italian made webers carb.
– Italian push rods
– Sand bent header 4 into 2
– Oversize magnesium oil pan.
– Wind tunnel tested
– All aluminum body bonded to a welded tube frame.
– 4-wheel independent suspension.
– Koni adjustable shock-absorbers.
– Magnesium 12 in disc brakes (inboard-at rear).
– Double circuit servo assisted braking system.
– Magnesium knock off wheels 7” front 9” rear
– Dunlop racing tires.
– Ideal placement of the motor to give a 50/50 weight distribution.
– 3- light weight alloy fuel tanks (7.5 gal reserve) totaling 35 gal. served by 3 fuel pumps, and still maintaining front to rear weight distribution with less than 1% variation from full to empty.
– 2-electric fans for the radiator.
– Shoulder harness type safety belts.
– Largest luggage compartment of any production sports car accommodates ample luggage and full size spare tire.
– Weight of the bizzarrini spyder is 2535 lbs.
– Steel roll bar.
– Limited slip differential.
– Grand Prix wood wheel