The third and final model in the XK line was the XK150. Easily identified by its new curved windshield, this model benefited from years of development since the first XK120 was launch in 1948. Jaguar described the roadster as “the same as the Hardtop Coupe, but with a convertible top, covered in the finest mohair, with fully lined interior, completely concealing the hood mechanism. Added seating accommodations in the rear for two children or one adult.”
One of the most important developments of the XK150 was the adoption of Dunlop disc brakes. These were often the focal point of the brochures which explained how the disc brake was first used on the Le Mans-winning C-Type of 1953.
Two of the availble options for the XK150 included an automatic transmission and wire wheels.
An optional Special Equipment Model was available which used the B-Type cylinder head and twin SU HD6 carburetors for 210 bhp. Other refinements included wire wheels, dual exhuast, windscreen washers. Above and beyond the SE model was the S-Type which used a straight-port cylinder head and three HD8 SU carburetors for 250 bhp @ 5500 rpm.
Live Axle w/Half-Elliptic Springs, Telescopic Shock Absobers
1450 kg / 3197 lbs
2590.8 mm / 102 in
1310.6 mm / 51.6 in
1310.6 mm / 51.6 in
1333.5 mm / 52.5 in
4-Speed Manual w/Optional Laycock Overdrive
Borg & Beck 10in
63.65 litres or 16.80 gal.
Auction Sales History
1958 Jaguar XK150 Drop Head Coupe S837089 – sold for $100,000 Rust free car bought from Steve Krantz in Illinois. Restoration done by Mario Sueiras from 2005 to 2007. Driven about 150 miles since the restoration. XKS Unlimited parts and interior. Stored in dry garage. 11% buyers premium on this automobile, Import duties have been paid. Auction Source: Monterey 2014 by Mecum Auctions
1959 Jaguar XK150 3.4-Litre Drophead Coupé S827338BW – sold for €84,000 This example of one of the most sought-after of XK150 variants was owned from 1965 to 2006 by John Hall, a senior musician in HM Band of Scots Guards, during whose ownership it was laid up for almost 30 years. ‘299 TOD’ was then the subject of a ‘ground upwards’ restoration. The body was rebuilt with new floors, boot floor, sills and ‘A’ and ‘B’ pillars, etc and then finished in Jaguar Carmen Red using modern paints and rust-proofing materials. Auction Source: 2012 Goodwood Revival Sale by Bonhams
1960 Jaguar XK150 3.4 Drophead Coupé – sold for €51,161 Finished in red with a black interior, this example was purchased by the current owner in 1988 from a Geneva resident who had acquired it from a Mr. J. Cassidy, an Irish gentleman who imported the car into Switzerland two years earlier. Following his acquisition of the car, the current owner commissioned a full restoration, which was completed in Switzerland in 1991 at a cost of 122,000 CHF. Upon completion, the car joined the owner’s private collection, and although it has been used quite sparingly, it has reportedly been well maintained ever since. It was first registered in Switzerland in 1994 and has regularly passed its technical inspections, including its most recent one in 2008. Auction Source: 2011 Salon Privé Auction by RM