Awesome!

Discussion in '1999 Cadillac Steinmetz Catera Concept' started by imprezawrx14, Aug 9, 2002.

1. A sporty car like this could make cadillac even more popular. Looks wicked sweet!<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Awesome!

Yeah,I wish they make it.

3. Re: Awesome!

Yeah it looks like caddy is leaning more towards makin sporty cars than they used to 10 yrs ago..its all good...btw sweet car

4. Re: Awesome!

Whats so sporty about a saloon that looks like a tank?

5. Re: Awesome!

this is exactly what cadillac needs to get into the younger market, like what lexus did with the IS300<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Awesome!

ehm, I don't know how to explain this to you, but this isn't a cadillac! It's just an Opel, Steinmetz is a german Opel Tuner. This is the Opel Omega, only the emblem got replaced by another one. This is a nice tuned Opel Omega, not more. Don't know why they post this Opel sedan with a non-Opel emblem under the name of cadillac. Ask europeans, they know it's an Opel Omega, thats not a cadillac. Here is a pic of an average Opel Omega.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Awesome!

Im sorry but this is a cadie because the same engine in it is a step up from the engine in the pontiac grand prix GTP. ITs not a opel because opel doesnt make the Supercharged V6 that is in the Pontiac Grand Prix. If you could find some information on that then i might believe you but for know i dont.

Enemy!

8. Re: Awesome!

yeah thats right, Opel doesn't make any V engines (as long as I know, they only use 4 and 6 cylinder or something like this, but I'm not that much into Opel engines). But Steinmetz puts V engines in Opels, and Steinmetz is a german tuner. And the pic I've posted before? It's the same car, this one here is tuned, the other one is untuned from the Opel homepage. But I have a solution, is cadi part of the GM company? Cause Opel is, and I think they just put all together. Opel body, steinmeitz tuning, caddi emblem, and where the engine comes from, I don't know. This one here is a concept, if yo8u want to have this, buy an Opel, tune it with steinmetz (thats expensive) and put the cadi emblem on it, but I don't know anything about the motor. If it comes from Steinmetz, caddi, GM or whereever. I'll post some pics of the Opel Omega, but you gotta say, the chassis is really from the Omega!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Awesome!

hey, just found out, Opel makes V 6 engines. They put "3.2 V6 AUTOMATIK (160 kW, 218 PS)" engines in it. So the difference between the 218 hp and the 288 hp are done by Steinmetz. But it's also possible that the V6 engines have been developed by GM, but normally, they would have put a V8 in it, V6 aren't in american cars normally, right?<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Awesome!

and my last 4 pics<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Awesome!

now this caddy i like never been a big fan but nice lines, donno whats with the wheels and the fenders but over all nice

12. Re: Awesome!

Yes this actually is an Opel Omega, the only difference is the rear, the light setup is different. It has a Caddytag because Opel is the name for the European Market. Opel is part of the GM company that's why you'll see Opels with different tags. Steinmetz is an Opel tuner. But nevertheless this is a great car!!

13. Re: Awesome!

to FUMP and anyone else that says its not a cadi

it is a CADDILAC CATERA, i have one, and so i know what it looks like. mind doesn't look exactly like it only diff is, the steinmentz one has a body kit on it. they don't make it anymore last year was the last year for it, has been relaced by the CTS. and the factory engine that comes in it is a 3.0 ltr 200 horsepwr engine.

14. Re: Awesome!

i would buy one

15. Re: Awesome!

Dis car looks more like a Holden Commerdore not an opel lol wat r u thinking lol

16. Re: Awesome!

this car is whicked...should really put it into production

17. Re: Awesome!

I thought the Catera and the Holden version were the 2 sister cars not Opel. Anyhow this is an Amazing car. A 5 or Six speed could really make an impact for the 0-60 times. Nonetheless it's a Caddy so expect an emphasis on traditional luxury concepts.

So when the Cadillac CTS comes out, what happenes to this? I guess it goes back to Australia.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Awesome!

Yes everybody, the Catera is an Opel Omega!! I lived in germany for 3 years because my dad was the product manager for the Catera. all Caddy did was change the emblems and emmissions requirements. As far as the steinmetz goes, there were only two ever made, i got the chance to drive one, and its awsome!!! But seeing how opel is owned by GM, its not uncommon for companies under the same parent company to chare cars.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Awesome!

The Car Looks good but is not the essence of cadillac

but is not bad their just trying the get to more people<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Awesome!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from L BurnA</i>
    <b>Dis car looks more like a Holden Commerdore not an opel lol wat r u thinking lol

</blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And did you know ... the Holden is actually a rebadged Opel?
    though, yeah the Holden Commodore is a much nicer derivate of the Opel Omega, as stated by the Car and Driver guys when they tested the Commodore HSRV IV against the Bimmer M5: "We'd rather have this Cadillac than the one that's on the streets."

And remember that the Catera was introduced intentionally in the States as a place holder for the new CTS, which I guess is a much better car from anywhere you look at it. And the sport version of the CTS will actually materalize into a rumoured BMW M3 or M-B AMG C32 competitor by the 2004 model year.
    <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Awesome!

gm makes a lot of cars all of the suck except for a few caddys, opels
    are pieces of crap and dont have no supercharged v6.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Awesome!

i dunno bout this it says its a caddy with a honda or some other sporty kinda design i dont like that it has a caddy name with a honda look... its just a wrong mix.... the luxury of cadillac with the power of a honda is really something to gag on<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Awesome!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Fump</i>
    <b>ehm, I don't know how to explain this to you, but this isn't a cadillac! It's just an Opel, Steinmetz is a german Opel Tuner. This is the Opel Omega, only the emblem got replaced by another one. This is a nice tuned Opel Omega, not more. Don't know why they post this Opel sedan with a non-Opel emblem under the name of cadillac. Ask europeans, they know it's an Opel Omega, thats not a cadillac. Here is a pic of an average Opel Omega.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Fumpy is right.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: Awesome!

looks like a r!cer

25. It is an Omega, it is a Cadillac and it is a Holden! In Europe the Opel Omega has been around for ages! In the UK they were called Vauxhall carltons you will know these because Lotus took one bored the strait six engine out and stuck 2 turbos on the side and called it a Lotus Carlton! Anyway that was the omega A in Europe

the Omega B which is what is in the picture was released in the UK as the Vauxhall omega, Europe as the Opel Omega B, in USA as the Cadillac Catera but only from 1997 - 2001 and always with the pre 1999 engine producing 200hp, it also had a different set of tail lights, a shiny grille and bouncier suspension! in Auz it was released as the Holden Commodore but was heavily changed for the Auz market and had the option of a 5.7 Chevy V8, the Holden monaro is a 3door coupe version of this car but as I say by this time they are more like cousins than sister cars!

The UK spec 1999 Vauxhall Omega that I drive is a 1999 Elite model with the redesigned 3.0 V6 producing 215hp out of the factory, this car is quick! But with a kerb weight of 1700KG's it is a combatable motorway cruiser with a little bit of power just incase, but its not going to be the fastest car in the world, the supercharger kit can add up to 80hp but the main problem with the car is a complex ECO-Tec engine air intake system and a restrictive Exhaust I had a custom exhaust fitted by a company called AAS here in the UK owned by a couple of brothers who used to run BMW motor sport and I got a 35hp increase from a less restrictive exhaust alone so this is a very tunable engine!

anyway I hope this clears up some of the confusion over what it is, it IS an Omega and it IS a Cadillac but I am sorry to say that this was designed as an Opel first and if you look at one parked next to something like a lotus Carlton you can see the styling que's which is why this car looks nothing like a "normal" Cadillac.

Tricky

P.S. it is pointless trying to compare this to Jap cars like civics etc, this should be compared with other big exec cars from Europe, like Merc, BMW 5series/7series, Audi A6, Saab etc. where you will find it can hold its own in performance, and comfort.

And I hate to burst any Americans bubble but the new Cadillac CTS is nothing more than a SAAB with a different body on it, most of the chassis, suspension, and interior trim as well as the engine comes strait from the Saab 9-3