Civic thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HippoCrushEverything, Aug 5, 2017.

1. That's fascinating.

2. I absolutely love stuff like this.

3. some interesting notes from the picture: every male is hatted, every window is open

also, i dont know if its the lighting or something that happened when colourizing it, but most of the faces look filthy

Veyronman likes this.
  4. Love pictures like that

[​IMG]

5. what year is this? the buildings look massive. imagine coming from the country and seeing your first 30 story building

Veyronman likes this.
  6. I wonder what the bugget lunch is like

7. Yeah that's what always struck me about the two big US cities I've visited. The scale of everything compared to at home is just enormous. It isn't just the height of the buildings, but the width of the roads, and the "sidewalks" is scaled up in proportion to the height of everything

I spend most of my time looking up like a tourist

EDIT: to put this into perspective, the 10 tallest buildings in my hometown are between 49m (160ft) and 75m (246ft) tall

HippoCrushEverything likes this.
  8. Somewhere around 1900 i believe

9. Same here... My city has a couple 90m buildings, but that's not really that tall. Biggest building i've seen irl was the tapei 101 and it really made my head blow up close.
    DSC_5128.jpg
    DSC_5149.jpg DSC_5178.jpg DSC_5262.jpg

10. And the view DSC_5110.jpg

11. Inside

DSC_5104.jpg DSC_5121.jpg DSC_5118.jpg

Veyronman likes this.
  12. Taipei 101 is insane because nothing else in the city is anywhere near as tall. so it must look even bigger than it is, which is saying a lot

13. wow cool building

14. A lot of older American architecture reflects this idea of Manifest Destiny that they were really laying the great streets of the next Rome. This shows up in the grandiose massing of the buildings, as we're discussing here: grand entranceways that span seven vertical stories, enormous facades that span your whole field of view, and enormous long boulevards that only terminate on the horizon.

The similarity between the popular depiction of a Roman Triumph in the streets of old Rome and that of a ticker-tape parade in Manhattan is not a coincidence.

But it also shows up in the style of the lines, in addition to the shear weight of the buildings and streets. The popularity of neo-classical styles in New York, New England, many of the old universities on the East Coast and the federal buildings in DC all speak to this. Huge column-supported pediments (no fewer than three visible in w00t's colorized picture), crisp white stonework (or even Alabama marble), and excessive use of the arch and column as a non-functional aesthetic addition. The design language is intentionally very imperial, imposing, and ambitious.

15. This talk kind of reminded me of earlier posts in this thread that newer / North American cities tend to have a lot of really tall buildings compared to Europe, but fewer medium-height buildings. Its even more extreme in my old home-town as I've said before:

But I found some ridiculous numbers to demonstrate how extreme that is. If you rank Canadian cities by the number of skyscrapers (buildings over 100m), you get a list like this:
    1. Toronto - 296
    2. Calgary - 63
    3. Montreal - 50
    4. Vancouver - 26
    5. Edmonton - 15
    But if you rank Canadian cities by the number of high-rises (buildings over 35m):
    1. Toronto - 2438
    2. Vancouver - 691
    3. Montreal - 498
    4. Ottawa - 369
    5. Calgary - 276
    If you ask Canadians about skylines they can picture in their head, almost everyone can think of Toronto, and then maybe Vancouver, Montreal, and Calgary in that order. Despite this huge mass of really tall buildings (which, if transplanted, would be nearly the tallest in Europe, actually), it's not super memorable because it doesn't really keep going that far. And then the urban area people think of as 'downtown' is really compact. That's something all the European built-up areas seem to have in spades.

16. They've been building an insane amount of towers here lately. So much that you have to wonder who's going to occupy all that space (usually more commercial than residential, because that's where the money's at). Interestingly, the skyscrapers here aren't bundled around a single center/downtown area (unless you consider all of Tel Aviv "downtown"). Most of the new construction is along the main highway seperating the city proper with the rest of the metro. So basically we're going to end up with a long line of skyscrapers.

Best illustration I could find is Street View.
    2017-11-22_1027.png

17. And the level of jewry is over 9000

18. Regarding light pollution

I'm probably not the only one who's read that the adoption of LED bulbs in city's infrastructures can reduce light pollution. But apparently it is just allowing us to add so much more LED lights due to the low cost that we're just ramping it up.

From https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/light-pollution-energy-LED-bulbs-spd/

Light pollution, particularly the blue lightemitted by LED bulbs, doesn’t just make it hard to stargaze. It can cause serious consequences for wildlife, whose biological rhythms and nocturnal instincts are disrupted when they are near a lot of artificial light. In humans, it can disrupt circadian rhythms and make it harder to see when driving at night. And in some cases, it can even make spring arrive early.

The researchers involved in the study say there is hope that the negative impacts of light pollution can be mitigated. Well-designed LED lamps can cut down on the amount of wasted light that the bulbs emit without creating a noticeable difference for human users. Kyba, who led the study, also says that saving energy while reducing light pollution is certainly possible, as long as the energy that is saved isn’t spent on adding more light sources.

19. Bring back sodium lamps!

Actually, don't. I drove through a pretty rural village recently at night that still had the yellow lamps, and holy shit I'd forgotten how awful they actually are at making things visible.

With that being said, the new LED stuff can be a bit overkill on brightness. Typical before/after example here

[​IMG]

WhiteChocolateWorld likes this.

20. Although some have since returned

21. It's only relevant for cultures in which people are docile and yielding. Every junction that doesn't have a light here is a violent, prone to accidents mess.

Also you're more likely to escape a hurdling terrorist because they don't usually stop for red lights and that's something you notice. But that's just a bonus thought.

ETB4U likes this.
  22. Street View in Bangladesh is mezmerizing.

23. No idea why I can't upload a picture in that post.
    Attempt #2.

Edit: still no.
    Will upload someplace else.
    [​IMG]