cobra 427 coppier

Discussion in '1956 AC Ace-Bristol' started by skylinedude1, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: cobra 427 coppier

For the people who actually know who they are talking about, I thank you. If there were more people like us in the Supercar forums maybe we could actually get into some conversations about these gorgeous cars and not sit there and have to correct less knowledgeable persons. Again thank you. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: cobra 427 coppier

jeez, I was going to explain why it's the same. but, that other guy had it perfectly. Oh, well. call me a car buff that knows a few things...

anyways,

pretty cool car. The Cobra isn't exactly american now, is it?<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: cobra 427 coppier

Once more , Supersonic was talking about something he doesn't know.

4. #4 GoatBoy389, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: cobra 427 coppier

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from DontMess</i>
    <b>The Shelby Cobras were based on this car, the AC ACE. Carroll Shelby found that the chassis was a good one. The only way to improve it was to put a big ford V8 in the engine bay and take it racing. Enter the Cobra. The suspension, brakes tranny etc were beefed up and the body sprouted larger arches to accomodate bigger tyres. In England the car was known as the AC Cobra and AC still make a few versions of it England today including carbon body version, a supercharged one and with a Lotus twin turbo. In America it was know as the Shelby cobra. Later ones were badged as Ford Cobras. Intially small block Ford V8s were used like the 289 (4.7l). The Legendary 427 came later had the big block 427 in it along with the same gearbox as the muscle cars of that era ie Shelby GT500, Hemi Cudas etc.

http://www.geocities.com/sajidm24
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I was going to say that but Don'tMess, being the knowledgable car enthusiast that he obviously is beat me to it!

All of these pics are Shelby's Work!<!-- Signature -->

5. this car is exactly the same!!! same disign, tranny, and around the same weight!!!!

6. Re: cobra 427 coppier

yep<!-- Signature -->

7. #7 DontMess, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: cobra 427 coppier

The Shelby Cobras were based on this car, the AC ACE. Carroll Shelby found that the chassis was a good one. The only way to improve it was to put a big ford V8 in the engine bay and take it racing. Enter the Cobra. The suspension, brakes tranny etc were beefed up and the body sprouted larger arches to accomodate bigger tyres. In England the car was known as the AC Cobra and AC still make a few versions of it England today including carbon body version, a supercharged one and with a Lotus twin turbo. In America it was know as the Shelby cobra. Later ones were badged as Ford Cobras. Intially small block Ford V8s were used like the 289 (4.7l). The Legendary 427 came later had the big block 427 in it along with the same gearbox as the muscle cars of that era ie Shelby GT500, Hemi Cudas etc.

http://www.geocities.com/sajidm24

8. Re: cobra 427 coppier

No, they are not.

9. Re:
    cobra 427 coppier

Its not the same look at the plating under the headlights thats different than the cobra. Cobra also got a longer tail.

10. Re: cobra 427 coppier

yeeeeeesssss, read above, dumbass. Ac+shelby= the exact same thing... almost.

11. Re: cobra 427 coppier

heh..this topic seems messed up..

12. Re: cobra 427 coppier

I have a replica of this car. The back end is higher. The car is narrower, the sides are flat, no flared wheel arches. The grill is different. This type of car doesn't have the bars connecting the over-riders.

13. Re: cobra 427 coppier

14. Re: cobra 427 coppier

If anyone has got Grand Turismo 3 on the PS2 go to Grand Turismo mode, Dealership, US cars, Shelby/AC (can't remeber which it is), then just watch the scrolling writing at the bottom of the screen this will tell you the whole story.

15. Re: cobra 427 coppier

Let me give a quick history for people who don't know...

AC Ace
    1953 - 1963
    During it life the Ace was powered by a number of different engines.
    1953 - 1956 AC six cylinder 2ltr OHC - 85bhp
    in 1956 this engine was joined by two engines supplied by Bristol (again both 2ltr 6 cylinder) 105 and 120 bhp being the outputs avaliable.
    Bristol stoped engine production in 1961 and switched to Chrysler V8's (which Bristol still use to this day)as a result the AC Ace was supplied with 1 2.6ltr Ford Zepher engine until production of the Ace stopped in 1963

Suspension wise the Ace had transverse leaf and wishbones front and rear, apart from the LWB Greyhound coupe of 1960 which was fitted with Coil spring and wishbone independent front suspension.

AC Cobra
    1962 - 1968
    The concept of the Cobra was proposed by Carroll Shelby, who suggested replacing the AC Ace 2.6 ltr engine with a 260 cid (4.2) V8 Ford engine. AC agreed and the car was announced in 1962. AC were to built LHD cars which would be shipped to California, were the engine would be installed. The car was to be called the AC Shelby-Cobra (Carroll Shelby claims the name came ot him in a dream).

After the first 75 had been produced the engine was changed to a 289cid (4.7) V8 and was known as the Mark II.

The vintage suspension had major problems with the engines output and working with Ford, Shelby developed the Mark III Cobra (1965) which featured a wider chassis and all-round wishbones and coil spring suspension, additionally it was fitted with a 427cid (6.9) V8 engine and wider wheels and tyres that required wider wheel arches. This odel continued until the production run out in 1968.

RHD Cobras were sold in the UK from 1963. The Mark III (fitted with the 4.7 rather than the 6.9) was sold as the AC 289 between '66 and '68 because AC did not have the rights to the Cobra name.

16. Re: cobra 427 coppier

nice looking car
    especialy for it's time

17. Re: cobra 427 coppier

oh my god....how can anyone be THAT retarded?