GTO vs. base corvette.

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. They have the same hp. and they both look good, but what do you think will win in a race. I think the gto will win in a drag race, but not on a track. Feel free to disagree.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

if i knew such things as lateral G's then i could maybe agrue, but for now i will just agree with you.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from snoop_todd</i>
    <b>if i knew such things as lateral G's then i could maybe agrue, but for now i will just agree with you.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Well I don't know much about this car(no one does), but I think it will beat the vette in a drag race, but I don't know.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

Not a fair comparison

The vette is lower slung, and is a more pure sports car.

Oh yeah, and the Vette is 200lbs lighter.

Advantage: Vette<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

Why would you compare two vehicles against each other that are both made by GM and arnt even in the same class.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

Guys, lets wait until this car is produced and then we should start comparing it.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>I think the gto will win in a drag race.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It WILL NOT. The corvette will severly trounce it. While sharing basically the same engine, the corvette weighs nearly 600 #s less! It also has gearing and aerodynamics in its favor.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>I think the gto will win in a drag race.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It WILL NOT. The corvette will severly trounce it. While sharing basically the same engine, the corvette weighs nearly 600 #s less! It also has gearing and aerodynamics in its favor.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

I wouldn't even bet on it beating a 2002 camaro SS.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

It WILL NOT. The corvette will severly trounce it. While sharing basically the same engine, the corvette weighs nearly 600 #s less! It also has gearing and aerodynamics in its favor.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->How do you know it weighs nearly 600lbs. less the weight says not avalable and I do think it will beat the camaro ss, but that's my oipinion.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LAMBOlover</i>
    <b>Why would you compare two vehicles against each other that are both made by GM and arnt even in the same class.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Who says this isn't in the same class they both have the same hp. the only difference is this is a muscle car and the vette is a sports car.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

the vette would win if you check out my post in the gto vs the camaro youll see the info to back this up

13. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

It WILL NOT. The corvette will severly trounce it. While sharing basically the same engine, the corvette weighs nearly 600 #s less! It also has gearing and aerodynamics in its favor.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->How do you know it weighs nearly 600lbs. less the weight says not avalable and I do think it will beat the camaro ss, but that's my oipinion.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The GTO is a porker. It weighs 3800#s according to motortrend.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

Motor trend has a different gto, I mean look at the pictures they are oviously different.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<b>Motor trend has a different gto, I mean look at the pictures they are oviously different.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Pontiac GTO actually looks longer in front (the biggest difference from the Monero). There's no reason to doubt motortrend's figures yet.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<b>They have the same hp. and they both look good, but what do you think will win in a race. I think the gto will win in a drag race, but not on a track. Feel free to disagree.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This has more torque at 375 compared to 350. So this should win in a drag race, but I highly doubt it will win in a road course. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

While still being a very respectable car, the new GTO will not be able to beat a Corvette in a drag race or on a track. The GTO is more of a tourer and the Vette is a sports car. The Vette is already lighter than the Australian Monaro and I would suspect that to Americanize the Monaro into the GTO, would only increase its weight. Also, don't forget that Pontiac and Chevrolet are both under GM, so it would hurt Corvette sales to have a less costly competitor that was quicker.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from joeybballer</i>
    <b>While still being a very respectable car, the new GTO will not be able to beat a Corvette in a drag race or on a track. The GTO is more of a tourer and the Vette is a sports car. The Vette is already lighter than the Australian Monaro and I would suspect that to Americanize the Monaro into the GTO, would only increase its weight. Also, don't forget that Pontiac and Chevrolet are both under GM, so it would hurt Corvette sales to have a less costly competitor that was quicker.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I agree, but the 400hp. version would beat the vette. If this has more tourqe then it has to be faster.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

this wudnt beat the base vette they said that the vette will have 370hp in motor trend then z06 will 'go away' for a while then come bak with an even more powerful engine

20. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from joeybballer</i>
    <b>While still being a very respectable car, the new GTO will not be able to beat a Corvette in a drag race or on a track. The GTO is more of a tourer and the Vette is a sports car. The Vette is already lighter than the Australian Monaro and I would suspect that to Americanize the Monaro into the GTO, would only increase its weight. Also, don't forget that Pontiac and Chevrolet are both under GM, so it would hurt Corvette sales to have a less costly competitor that was quicker.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree. You are also right, there likely would not be a higher 400hp GTO because car classes are sacred ground to car manufacturers. Nice avatar by the way.

Everyone: They are the same engines. Both with 350 horsepower and 375 ft lb of torque.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from joeybballer</i>
    <b>While still being a very respectable car, the new GTO will not be able to beat a Corvette in a drag race or on a track. The GTO is more of a tourer and the Vette is a sports car. The Vette is already lighter than the Australian Monaro and I would suspect that to Americanize the Monaro into the GTO, would only increase its weight. Also, don't forget that Pontiac and Chevrolet are both under GM, so it would hurt Corvette sales to have a less costly competitor that was quicker.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree. You are also right, there likely would not be a higher 400hp GTO because car classes are sacred ground to car manufacturers. Nice avatar by the way.

Everyone: They are the same engines. Both with 350 horsepower and 375 ft lb of torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Maybe it won't out perform the base vette, but it will be pretty darn close.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

Explain why you think that. The engines are EXACTLY the same. So it's really up to traction, gearing, and weight. Traction could go either way, probably for the vette, but we won't consider that. With its 3.23 rear end, the vette has the advantage. And it weight at least 500 lb more than the vette. I'll ask again why you think this car has a chance.<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: GTO vs. base corvette.

you have the right idea here. this will be more of a tourer, which is not what the GTO should be aiming for. thats why there's the buick reagal gs, or the monte carlo, or the grand prix. the only difference here is the RWD and V8 layout. this is being targeted to the wrong age group. the GTO should be just under the 'vette and above the Camaro/Firebird when it comes to performance.

again, GM is dropping the ball<!-- Signature -->