Japan's loosing their edge

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by Mr Rotary, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Grizz2K4</i>
    <b>You Guys are SOOOOO Damn Smart aren't You? Did you Realize this car has More HP than an RX-7? And did you know it's also Faster (Saw on TV). It doesn't NEED a Turbo You Jackass.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Spot on!
    Hence the development of the side exhaust ports and other twinkling.

2. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

Yes I know that the reason that they swiched from the turbos is to save money. Alot of things in the auto industry such as the civic going to macpherson struts are done for that reason, but there is nothing like being in a turbo charged car and seeing the boost gauge rise and being pressed back in your seat and that just wont seem the same in this car. However i wasnt holding out much hope for a turbo in this car because in road and track 2 years ago the president of mazda didnt make is seem likely. So lets hope that mazda will come to their senses and give us a turbo.<!-- Signature -->

3. If any of you have seen any of turbo power's other posts you will see that I love my japanese sports cars and I writing this to criticize not bad mouth, but japan's loosing their edge. It wasn't too long ago that great cars were coming out of japan left and right. Cars like the rx-7, 300zx, 3000gt, supra, and the eclipse gst terrorized the great streets of america and gave the pony car market some much needed competion with their sleek lines, sometimes having all-wheel drive, and the most important component of all a high efficiency engine complete with a turbo charger. Now flash forward to today, the turbo charger only comes on one car to america the subaru wrx. And only one of the cars that i named earlier that is still in production is the eclipse, but unfortunately it does not have a turbo charger and has turned into japan's version of the pontiac grand am. And these cars that are about to come out of japan such as the rx-8 and the 350z have lost their edge as they have gained weight and lost their turbos.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

Your correct.

5. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

I really love this car. and when put in the dealer ships i'll be out there buying one.....but if the RX 7 were still in production i'd jump on the chance to get one right away over this. but, i do agree with you.

(don't forget the Nissan Skyline) GREATEST IMPORT EVER

6. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

Yea I love the nissan skyline but it does not come to america. Not yet any way.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

You Guys are SOOOOO Damn Smart aren't You? Did you Realize this car has More HP than an RX-7? And did you know it's also Faster (Saw on TV). It doesn't NEED a Turbo You Jackass.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

Wow, i have never seen someone get everything wrong in their post before. First off the rx-7 makes 255 hp to the rx-8's 250. Next to nothing i know but you are still wrong. Second I am holding the April 2002 issue of road and track and they say that the rx-8's 0-60 time is 6 secs to the rx7's 4.9, that is your second mistake. And finaly it would be much CHEAPER to get high horsepower out of the turbo rx7 than it would be to get it from the rx8 either by installing a turbo or by trying to stick with na parts. That is why a turbo engine is better.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

ok first off, i totally agree with everything that Turbo power has posted.. but i must defend this import to the fact that in my eyes, this has to the best looking Japanese import ever to reach the U.S. the RX-7 was very nice, but i definatly think that this car, looks wise, has the RX-7 beat.. if i had my choice, i think that i would choose this over an RX-7.. unless the RX-7 was a veilside of course ;)

10. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

The RX-8 was NOT turbocharged to save the overall cost on the vehicle. Just think how much extra it to develope & supply a sequential turbo system!

However, the good news is that a Turbo RX-8 is in the developement stages...

11. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from turbo power</i>
    <b>If any of you have seen any of turbo power's other posts you will see that I love my japanese sports cars and I writing this to criticize not bad mouth, but japan's loosing their edge. It wasn't too long ago that great cars were coming out of japan left and right. Cars like the rx-7, 300zx, 3000gt, supra, and the eclipse gst terrorized the great streets of america and gave the pony car market some much needed competion with their sleek lines, sometimes having all-wheel drive, and the most important component of all a high efficiency engine complete with a turbo charger. Now flash forward to today, the turbo charger only comes on one car to america the subaru wrx. And only one of the cars that i named earlier that is still in production is the eclipse, but unfortunately it does not have a turbo charger and has turned into japan's version of the pontiac grand am. And these cars that are about to come out of japan such as the rx-8 and the 350z have lost their edge as they have gained weight and lost their turbos.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This car makes 30 less hp then the old engine, the car is more refined, has better handling, and better accleration, and you complaining? I kinda get what you meen, but this car is not watered down, wait till the turbo (hopefully turbo that is) Rx-7 comes out, same engine, but turbo, two doors, and alot more power ;)<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from N2O StreetRacer</i>
    <b>ok first off, i totally agree with everything that Turbo power has posted.. but i must defend this import to the fact that in my eyes, this has to the best looking Japanese import ever to reach the U.S. the RX-7 was very nice, but i definatly think that this car, looks wise, has the RX-7 beat.. if i had my choice, i think that i would choose this over an RX-7.. unless the RX-7 was a veilside of course ;)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

DAMN STRAIGHT! Also the reason that Mazda stopped Rx7s in the states and CANADA was because people were turning away from sports cars to sport sedans because of the practicality and seating capability. This car is a hell of a lot more practical for everyday use.

13. Re: Japan's loosing their edge

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Grizz2K4</i>
    <b>You Guys are SOOOOO Damn Smart aren't You? Did you Realize this car has More HP than an RX-7? And did you know it's also Faster (Saw on TV). It doesn't NEED a Turbo You Jackass.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This car actually has 5 less bhp than the rx7 and is a small amount slower. But the rx7 had twin turbo while this car is naturally aspirated. Therefore, if this car had the same twin turbo the rx7 had it would be able to pull at least 350 bhp, causing it to be considerably faster.<!-- Signature -->