LSx?

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by Atomic, Nov 2, 2006.

1. LSX?

What is the best of the LS engines when it comes down to everything...

power
    size
    price
    tuning
    reliability
    efficiency

2. LSX?

my vote is LS2. half the price of an LS7, amazing tuning ability.

4. LS1 just because its been used so succesfully in so many different applications.

5. I just want an LS7.

6. LS6. An LS1 but better. Better by five.

7. LS2. It's got a little more displacement than the 1/6, and it's still burly enough to handle insane amounts of power. The LS7 MAY end up being able to make more than enough to satisfy any nut jobs power demands, but it hasn't been proven yet. So until there are 1000+++HP LS7s, it's gotte be the LS2.

9. LS2 easy, although this post may be relevant in a few years down the line after the LS7 has been beat in enough to see what it can handle

10. Is the LS1 better in any way than the LS2? They're fairly similar, being that the LS2 is an evolution of the LS1. The LS1 has more units in circulation, but the LS2 does use a lot of the same parts, so it's not like the LS2 aftermarket is incredibly small.

11. LS2, the tuning potental is just crazy. And it is a rock solid motor.

12. LS2 or LS1, the LS1 is good because you have alot better chance of grabbing a used one because they were alot more common.

13. LS1 or LS2 for all around.

I chose LS1 because it is the cheapest and the extra bore of the LS2 may not justify the price to many. With boost it makes more than enough power to start breaking drivetrain parts.

All can be tuned/stroked to 447+ cu inches so size is irrelevant overall.

LS1 and LS6 bottom ends became pretty much the same thing as of 2002 so the cam and heads are all you paying extra.

LS1 is my pick in this poll, but I'm probably going to eat the couple grand more when I get my motor built for the C5 and get an LS2.

14. LS3.

which will be in development within the next couple of years

3 valve

But seriously.

The LS1 for being a great standard for the upcoming LSX engines. and the LS2 for having a 4.0 bore vs a 3.90. and If money isnt an issue, obvioulsy the LS7

I may get a L92 soon, if I dont just stroke out my LS1.

4.065 bore/4.00 stroke,

6.8/6.9 liters and costs as much as an LS2!!

15. I think everyone who voted LS7 missed the "price" part of the comparison.

16. that is where price becomes a factor. generally an ls1 will cost you a good 30-40% less than an ls2.

17. Aren't some parts of the LS2 stronger though? Many of the parts are better performing stock, which would probably give you more room to grow in power at a lower cost since you don't have to change certain parts out at lower levels like you might on an LS1. Whether or not it ever actually ends up being cheaper or even comperable price wise, I dunno. Probably not.

18. Both the LS1/6 and LS2 cranks are extremely strong and many opt not to replace them during their big power build up.

If you keep the bottom ends "stock," most tend to stay in the 500-550 RWHP range for safety although many have gone further to 650+ RWHP with the impression their motor is due to "kaboom." Some blow up but there are many that haven't even then.

The limitations of the "stock" rods and pistons for the LS1/6/2 are around those numbers above. For different costs, offhand I know you are replacing the valvetrain for both, and many LS1/6 guys go for a ported oil pump. For TT'ing an LS2 the knock sensors need to be relocated but the kit/labor is only a couple hundred.

Most LSx racers who go for major HP (say 1200+ RWHP) will go with iron blocks since they are clearly straight line racers and the weight reduction of aluminum is not the priority. Iron blocks are significantly stronger (which also means safer and more forgiving if a tune goes wrong.)

19. Yep. I voted LS7 and I missed the price part.

20. I'll just have one of each in my car, each one powering a different wheel. With some good AWD/LSD/etc systems, it'd work.

21. I quit enjoyed my LS1 camaro while i had it, never drove any of the others so LS1.

22. Why would you need a differential if each wheel is seperataly powered?