M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

Discussion in '2001 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Coupe' started by BMW M5 MAN, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

CLK beats the M3 on looks .. but the M3 has far greater performance.....If i didn't like driving fast i'de have the CLK, but ..I do ! so the M3 would win. The're both Top of their class.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

I think the m3 is perfect and when compared it is a challenge but the m3 looks much better and more aggressive. Anyways both really nice cars but quite a price difference.

4. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

man....this car shouldn't be compared w/ a M3.
    the M3 should be compared w/ the C32.
    <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

Currently, the only competition to this car is the Jag XKR... all I can think of..... anyone can think of more?

6. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

maybe the audi S6 <!-- Signature -->

7. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

I don't like Mercedes, for european cars in the normale price range it's BMW all the way!!! ofcourse the M5 on top!!!
    (by the way: AM Vanquish would eat every car for breakfast!)

8. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

(by the way: AM Vanquish would eat every car for breakfast!)

no.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

hey type r guy all japs suck and most euopean's suck

10. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

THE M3 IS FAR BETTER THAN THE CLK55. I WAS DRIVING A CLK55 AND I FLOORED IT AND WHEN I STOPED THE ENGINE BROKE (I DIDNT EVEN HAVE IT UP TO 65) THE M3 IS A FAR BETTER PREFORMER THAN THE CLK. PLUS ITS A AUTOMATIC VS A MANUAL. BMW M POWER EQUALS PERFORMANCE, AMG THIKS BY ADDING A SUPERCAHRGER IT WILL BE ABLE TO COMPETE, MAYBE UNTILL THE THE 03 M3 GTR ROAD VERSION COMES OUT

11. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bmwmpower24</i>
    <b>THE M3 IS FAR BETTER THAN THE CLK55. I WAS DRIVING A CLK55 AND I FLOORED IT AND WHEN I STOPED THE ENGINE BROKE (I DIDNT EVEN HAVE IT UP TO 65) THE M3 IS A FAR BETTER PREFORMER THAN THE CLK. PLUS ITS A AUTOMATIC VS A MANUAL. BMW M POWER EQUALS PERFORMANCE, AMG THIKS BY ADDING A SUPERCAHRGER IT WILL BE ABLE TO COMPETE, MAYBE UNTILL THE THE 03 M3 GTR ROAD VERSION COMES OUT</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->lol he must b talkin about his toy car!

12. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

bmwm your a dick. The new CLK isn't being released with a supercharger. Id like to know what exactly it was on the car you broke. Considering that i've also driven one, and the auto box is a quick changing gearbox, it just doesn't have the ability to launch from stand still like a manual, in gear however the auto will always be quicker because theres no change down.

13. #13 nurburgring, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

I've driven a CLK55 for a weekend and an M3 for about a half hour.
    Here are some basic differences the way I saw it.
    (BTW, the M3 was the regular getrag 6speed NOT the Getrag SMGII transmission.)

FIRST DIFFERENCE: The M3 has that ANNOYING resonator box that gives a high-pitched CHAINSAW BUZZ sound to the exhaust of the straight six. Most M3 owners in Germany apparently put on a Supersprint or Eisenmann exhaust aftermarket. Mind you this is a matter of taste.

THE CLK55 SOUNDS AWESOME...SERIOUS V8 LOW RUMBLE. When you floor it it SOUNDS AWESOME. You will floor it just to hear it.

Tranny: BMW wins here but only slightly. Getrag. Very very smooth 6speed. The Benz auto is FAST and SMOOTH. Probably as fast or faster than the BMW's SMGII in A-Mode.

Handling: The E46 M3 is one HARSH ride. You will feel every frigging pebble and pothole that you drive over, especially if you put 19" wheels like this car had. The Benz was hard but WAY BETTER AS A DAILY DRIVER.
    Verdict: BMW slightly better handling BUT paid the price with a freaking hard ride.

ENGINE: Close, but give me the V8 and it's big fat torque.
    If you want to compare 0-60 and 1/4 mile they are so close (by a few tenths or atleast less than half a second) that the TIRES AND DRIVER AND CONDITIONS WILL MAKE MORE DIFFERENCE IN THESE NUMBERS THAN THE CAR.

Style: Personally, I PREFER THE STEALTH FACTOR OF THE CLK. AND LUXURY OF THE INTERIOR THE CLK WINS. If you ask M3 owners they will tell you that JERKS who own 3 series keep ripping off the M3 logos and try to break in to steal the car (or steal for parts like the Xenon light array, engine, etc) ALL THE TIME. Personally I couldn't live with that kind of anger. I would KILL someone who f***ed with my car.

THIS BRABUS CLK IS BEAUTIFUL and STEALTHY. And less likely that a punk would steal it for parts.
    http://www.oberklasse.com/gdfx/images/brabus_clk_02.jpg <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

In a few years the M3 will be a Pakistani gangsta ride with plastic Taj-Mahal in the window while the CLK remains a classy performer.

I think the buyers with serious cash and a bit of class consider that.
    Theres no doubt that the M3 is a serious performer, but id rather be seen in the benz!<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

The M3 is a really bad ass car... Its my favorite bimmer.. But going against the looks and class of the CLK, its gonna be tough.. Ive heard ppl of complaining that the M3 has some technical problems from time to time.. Hey, no car is perfect.. But id still take the CLK, beautiful car with an amazing interior and that V8 rumble is sooooo sweeeeeet..

16. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

The M3.

17. Re: M3 vs CLK 55 AMG

V8 vs Line 6
    no matter how good the line 6 is. 8 cylinder's another level IMO