Re: M5 vs E55AMG

Discussion in '2001 BMW M5' started by BMW M5 MAN, Aug 9, 2002.

1. M5 vs E55AMG

<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- Signature -->

3. Hands down the M5,and if I was to put a sedan
    from Mercedes-Benz it would be the S55 AMG.

4. m5 all the way!!!

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from V12</i>
    <b>I'd take an E55. It has a much better platform than the M5. The E55 makes almost as fast lap times as the M5 with an automatic transmission and 51 hp less!! If the E55's suspension would be a little stiffer and it would have a manual transmission it could be as fast as the M5 around a track, with 51 hp less!! Oh, and according to many mags the E55 even handles better.

For all the people that think that an engine that puts out more hp with smaller displacement is better than a bigger one with a little less displacement, I say you are wrong. The point of the big displacement is in torque. Look at the torque ratings for these cars. The M5 has 498 nm torque and the E55 has 530 nm torque. So the E55 has much more. And remember, torque is more important than hp, because torque is the actaul work or force an engine produces, hp is just a number that is calculated from it. Torque makes the car accelerate. And the E55 has more of it. High torque is usually reached with bigger displacements or with a super/turbocharger. Now if the new E55 gets a supercharger, it will have even more torque. So there's actaully nothing really great about small engines with much hp.

And for those who think that a manual transmission is all that is fun in driving, you could buy yourself a clutch and a stick shift and install it at home into your armchair. There you could play around with your manual transmission and have all the fun needed for driving. Anyway, race cars have only manual transmissions because they have to have a certain gear during corners, and to optimise that, they have a manual because the driver knows the exact situation and in what gear he should drive. But automatic transmissions are much faster than manuals.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    OK, your post is quite confusing. You're saying the Benz has 2 advantages:
    1) Torque (more important than outright hp)
    2) Automatic tranny (it shifts faster than manuals)
    What's not mentioned is
    3) The E55 is about 200 lbs lighter than the M5

So, looking at 1), 2), and 3) one should assume that the M5 would be knocked into the weeds by the lighter, quicker-shifting, more torquey E55. But as C&D and R&T found out, that's simply not the case. In both tests, the M5 beat the E55 and in C&D (which mentioned nothing of the understeer that R&T found), the margin wasn't even as close as one might expect, assuming 1), 2), and 3) are true COMBINED with the contention that the E55 handles better and has a better platform. Even though R&T's M5 example suffered more severe understeer, it still posted better lap times and they rated its suspension higher in ride quality than the E55. C&D noted the M5 was able to shake off even the roughest of bumps through a corner; no such mention was made for the Merc.

What do you mean by better platform? Are the suspension pieces thicker (how much)? Lighter? Does the E55 have a superior roll axis, caster, camber? Does it suffer less bump steeer? Do its shocks offer better compression/rebound characteristics? Are its shocks better matched to its springs? What is it?

A note about automatics: while they CAN offer quicker shifts than manuals, that doesn't mean they transmit all of the power when you want it. There's a loss in hp through the lockup torque converter.

6. Man theres a major difference, the whole car would get passed you with maybe the fraction of your mercedies front near to the back of the bmw, .6 makes a difference, and yes a m3 would waste a m5, no doubt in that.
    Man, i lived in the uk for like 20 yrs now, and when i go to Germany my uncle works for bmw, i go with him some times and once he showed me the difference between the cars, and how fast the cars goes and why this and that shit is here and there, bmw is the fastest of all family cars out there, no doubt there.

Gear transmission is hell better than automatic, you'll probably never red line a automatic, take ten yrs if u do, where as gear drop one gear and there goes the extra #$%#ing horse power, #$%#ing automatic will be thinking lets turn of at the next rd, because, i jus got wasted.

All i am saying is merc is cool looking better luxury, merc is abt good speed, looks and most of all what the client really really wants, same with bmw, but bmw tries to get ppl from all direction, all sorts of ppl, sporty and posh, luxirious and etc, and man, if merc was not around then bmw would dominate the world.

No disputes.

When this dispute was running in the uk, the mercedies guy was asked what he thought of that comment, and he thought abt it and guess what he said, he said, "true, but listen, Mercedies is around, so we don't need to go there."

Bmw has sweet tuning on it's engines, where as the merc you cannot even hear, so whats the point of there convertable, no point,at least when u drive a bmw convertable you can atleast hear the sweet and powerful engine, when i first drove the m3 it blew me away, i could awsomely feel the power there, like i have ever felt the same sort of power on merc, dream on, Merc is in no comparison, the only new car created by merc to probably get any good statis in my mind is the slk, 4.8 sec 0-60, now thas cool, or maybe the c-class aswell, 4.9 0-60. Where as all bmw goes from 0-60 in 4 something, man, even the x5 is like 6.2 sec 0-60, unbeatable.

Don't know what else to say, well, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.
    Respect to all Bmw owners and lovers.

Peace.

7. It's pretty obvious that the M5 is a far superior car. Smaller displacement, normally aspirated, and more horsepower. It doesn't look like an old man's saloon car either. The M5 did better on the skid pad. BMW has been and always will be the ultimate driving machine. They make, arguably, the best engines in the world. Disagree, check the specks on the McLaren F1. Keep in mind they were under strict weight guidlines by Gordon Murray. Either way, a 6.1 litre normally aspirated 600+ horsepower is a kickass engine. GO BMW!

8. #8 1q2w3e, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    If you want to see a quick BMW. Go check out www.bavariacars.com.au

Check out the Motorsport's section. It's kind of hard to miss.

9. M5 all the way!! and how the hell can u drive a car with 350 hp with an auto that is soo damn gay and a total waste of money...anyway L8rz

10. I WILL HAVE TO SAY M5. ITS SUCHA BETTER CAR THAN THE E55AMG I FIND NOTHING I LIKE IN THE E55AMG. I THINK ITS JUST AN ATTEMPT FOR CEDES TO MAKE A CAR JSUT A WELL BUILD AND AS FAST AS THE M5! SORRY GUYS YOURE GONNA HAVE TO KEEP TRYING!!<!-- Signature -->

11. ? Mercedes and BMW's are marketed at diffrent demographics its that simple.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from snyper</i>
    <b>M5, simple, nothing to it. and with the supercarged version of the E55 that is cool considering that u need it even to come to close, oh and by the way the next gen M5 will have a naturally aspirated 5 litre V8 putting out about 500bhp, have a nice day.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

next gen E55 will have a 470hp Supercharged V8 (5.0 Liters) and next gen M5 wil have a 500hp N/A V10 (5.0 Liters)<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from FAREL 40</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from snyper</i>
    <b>M5, simple, nothing to it. and with the supercarged version of the E55 that is cool considering that u need it even to come to close, oh and by the way the next gen M5 will have a naturally aspirated 5 litre V8 putting out about 500bhp, have a nice day.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

next gen E55 will have a 470hp Supercharged V8 (5.0 Liters) and next gen M5 wil have a 500hp N/A V10 (5.0 Liters)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I've heard that the next M5 will have a 450 hp V10. SO if that's true the E55 will have more power. But power isn't everything, weight is also a very important factor. The current E55 weighs less than the M5. If that reamins the same then the E55 could accelerate faster also with less hp. The next E55 is only 16 kg heavier than the current version.<!-- Signature -->

14. The V10 to be used in the forthcoming 6-Series is said to have 500BHP. Might be possible to assume this will also be used in the next M5.<!-- Signature -->

15. M5 is the worlds fastes sport sedan , it out powers almost every Mercedes , so i would go for the M5

16. its definantly the fastest european sedan currently being built on the market. But European performance times differ so much to times where I live (in australia). There's been much debate on forums as to if a HSV GTS would be quicker down the 1/4. Its 100kg lighter but the M5 has a superior gearbox and ratio setup so i would concide the M5 would be a little quicker. However there is also a company down here called Corsa Special Vechiles that builds a 330kw V8 in a car that weighs over a 100kg less. The car is based on a commodore body shell and thats where the comparison ends.

I'd have to say here the CSV is definantly the quicker car of the two.
    its 330kw and 1700kg compared to 294 and 1795kg. But in europe or the US you'll have never heard of them or seen one.

17. This is a note to all the mercedes lovers out there. They Suck!!!!!
    BMW has and always will be better!!!<!-- Signature -->

18. You didn't start this thread just to see people vote for the M5, did you?

19. Bah. Mercedes is retarded. If they'd get off their 'We're Too Good For Old-Fashioned Manuals' high horse they'd get a ton more respect. No doubt BMW has better engines (more HP out of smaller displacement w/ same aspiration.. hmm), but from what I hear the E55 handles better. Who knows. I havn't driven either. I'd take either, though.

20. to the M5 man, i'll ask again, why is the M5 a better car? Have you driven either? As i said in the Merc page post, i've driven both the CLK55 and E55, and theres a big diffrence between those two.

the E55 is a saloon, big, comfortable and comes with all the trimmings like an M5, but no manual box? Big deal, you couldn't shift an M5 manual box anywhere near as quick as the auto, and if you want to say the M5 packs and extra what? 30 odd kilowatts, who cares? It doesn't do much with that extra horsepower. And Mercedes is bringout out a supercharged version of it anyway. I think they're just big, comfortable quick salon's there not a sports car.

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>to the M5 man, i'll ask again, why is the M5 a better car? Have you driven either? As i said in the Merc page post, i've driven both the CLK55 and E55, and theres a big diffrence between those two.

the E55 is a saloon, big, comfortable and comes with all the trimmings like an M5, but no manual box? Big deal, you couldn't shift an M5 manual box anywhere near as quick as the auto, and if you want to say the M5 packs and extra what? 30 odd kilowatts, who cares? It doesn't do much with that extra horsepower. And Mercedes is bringout out a supercharged version of it anyway. I think they're just big, comfortable quick salon's there not a sports car.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A manual gearbox isn't about being faster than an automatic, it is about being more one with the car, which no automatic gearbox can ever acheive. These two cars certainly aren't sports cars, but they should still be driver's cars, which the Merc is not since it has an auto.

22. fair enough, i'll have to agree to disagree with you, i've driven an E55 and CLK55 and disagree about not being part of the car, however I cannot comment on the M5, but i'd rather have and E46 M3 or E30.

However, 400hp tends to smoke the back wheels pretty good

23. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>to the M5 man, i'll ask again, why is the M5 a better car? Have you driven either? As i said in the Merc page post, i've driven both the CLK55 and E55, and theres a big diffrence between those two.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Wahts the diffrence between the 2 well ill tell u there is about a .6 second diffrence. and so what if a automatomatic can shift faster they all ways shift when it is right before the red line while the manual u can really strech the gears out and get the most power before swiching. pluss if there was nor big diffrence they why does every race car u can think of have a manual gear box. think before u speek <!-- Signature -->

24. #24 1q2w3e, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Think before I speak... F1. I don't happen to think they use a conventional manual there. And before you say they use a form of it, tiptronic or sequencial whatever you want to call it is simply to hold the correct gear through corners, yes. But M5 and E55 there not race cars there road cars. And 0.6 of a second, god I wouldn't really call that much of a diffrence, not a noticable one anyway.

I actually own a BMW an E30, if you want to check it out at all its at www.bavariacars.com.au in the customer car section, its the turbo one.

25. and automatics change before redline simply because thats where peak power is.