Re: Not a Ferrari

Discussion in '1969 Dino 246 GT' started by Duesey, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Not a Ferrari

Dino was never meant to be a Ferrari, it was suppose to be a whole new lineup marketed just below Ferrari. Unfortunately, everyone took it for a Ferrari. Techinically speaking, a Dino with a prancing horse on it is not a correct car. Just though y'all should know...

2. Well, I think it is good enough to be called Ferrari.

3. you are wrong, the dino series was built when Enzo Ferrari's son died. His son had an idea of a small mid enine v6 sports car. He didn't want any prancing horses on the car. So this is called the Ferrari Dino 246 GT.

4. i think Enzo didnt want Dino to be considered a Ferrari because the first ones had a Fiat engine. This paticular model however had a Ferrari engine. I could be wrong about the Fiat thing though. <!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrariformula</i>
    <b>you are wrong, the dino series was built when Enzo Ferrari's son died. His son had an idea of a small mid enine v6 sports car. He didn't want any prancing horses on the car. So this is called the Ferrari Dino 246 GT. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah, but it's still not a Ferrari. It was a joint venture with Fiat. Ferrari made the car, Fiat made the engine. They decided to just call it the Dino (named after Enzo's son). Dinos never had Ferrari badges on them, unless their owners put one on.<!-- Signature -->

6. Actually It isn't properly refered to as a Ferrari Dino 246GT, it doesnt bear the ferrari namesake, and so "Dino" is considered to be it's own marque. It's just a "Dino 246GT". Which is why Dinos can be collected for a rather low cost, at around 20-30k for an example in good condition.<!-- Signature -->

7. I would say $20-30k, that is what a lowly 308 or 206GT can be had for, a Dino 246GT usually sells in the mid 80's, which is plenty high, but not for a collectable 'Ferrari' or sorts.

8. This looks like a #$%#in' porche. if i wanted a car that looks like this i would get a porche.

9. Actually the engine was a joint venture between FIAT and Ferrari, and Enzo had them badged as Dino's because he didn't think people would take a Ferrari with a V6 seriously. <!-- Signature -->

10. well there's obviously no consensual answer to this... because clearly, some of the most reputable sources, whether authorized publishers for Ferrari products, or producers for the Speed Channel (formerly Speedvision), almost all have clearly categorized this car under the Ferrari umbrella, despite any sort of details in the production of it; its widely known for its links to Enzo's son Dino, and as for Fiat, they half-own Ferrari, and Alfa Romeo owns Fiat. so that really isnt a big issue, per say. the fact that these cars DO sell for $75k in America (Duesey's right about that), means these CERTAINLY are regarded as collectors' items and special icons of the Ferrari name (i mean like it or not, this IS the only 6-cyl production ferrari). i love this car, and if i ever wanted to get a vintage ferrari, this would be one i certainly would consider... hell, watch Cheech & Chong's 'Next Movie' to see what kinda fun they have in this car (tho i definately hear the sound of gears stripping... lol)<!-- Signature -->

11. Does anyone actually know when Dino died? 1954. There was no line of Dinos, just some race models, and a few road cars, all containing the V6 that Dino helped design in the early fifties.

12. i heard Fiat owns 90% of ferrari ...is that tru?<!-- Signature -->

13. if your bat mouthing dis car stfu